local caching of remote files - NFS

This is a discussion on local caching of remote files - NFS ; Hi all, I'm on a network that currently uses Samba from Windows clients talking to UNIX servers. One of the problems we face is that we have an 80MB source file storage on UNIX that about 8 clients at the ...

  1. local caching of remote files

    Hi all,

    I'm on a network that currently uses Samba from Windows clients talking
    to UNIX servers. One of the problems we face is that we have an 80MB
    source file storage on UNIX that about 8 clients at the same time need
    to access. Needless to say, doing compilations on this 80MB storage
    area is useless for time.

    I am looking for a solution where for instance a particular remote area
    can be mounted on a windows client, but the remote files get cached
    locally on a separate part of the hard drive for easy access. Then only
    if there are changes to the files, checked frequently ( not necessarily
    real-time "on-access" ), will the local client download the changes,
    otherwise it uses the locally cached copy.

    I heard NFS can be set up to cache files on the client and has some
    parameters that can be configured for this. My question is, will NFS
    satisfy and work well with the above specifications on Windows?

    Rgds,

  2. Re: local caching of remote files

    Begin <1135164746.814807.109330@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>
    On 2005-12-21, Gerard wrote:
    > I am looking for a solution where for instance a particular remote area
    > can be mounted on a windows client, but the remote files get cached
    > locally on a separate part of the hard drive for easy access. Then only
    > if there are changes to the files, checked frequently ( not necessarily
    > real-time "on-access" ), will the local client download the changes,
    > otherwise it uses the locally cached copy.

    I don't know if some variety of NFS in itself can do that, altough I am
    aware of filesystems that should be able to do this (coda, afs maybe?).
    However, rsync can do this. OTOH, since you usually have your sources in
    some sort of management system anyway, you then could just checkout or
    update the build tree from the repository.

  3. Re: local caching of remote files

    Gerard wrote:

    > I am looking for a solution where for instance a particular remote area
    > can be mounted on a windows client, but the remote files get cached
    > locally on a separate part of the hard drive for easy access. Then only
    > if there are changes to the files, checked frequently ( not necessarily
    > real-time "on-access" ), will the local client download the changes,
    > otherwise it uses the locally cached copy.

    Take a look at OpenAFS.

+ Reply to Thread