non-English characters cause connection drop - NFS

This is a discussion on non-English characters cause connection drop - NFS ; Hello, I have a firewire drive hooked up to my Mac G4 running OS 10.2.8. I am sharing that drive using NFS. I am mounting that drive on my FreeBSD 4.10-RELEASE-p5 machine. Whenever I try to send a file with ...

  1. non-English characters cause connection drop

    Hello,

    I have a firewire drive hooked up to my Mac G4 running OS 10.2.8. I
    am sharing that drive using NFS. I am mounting that drive on my FreeBSD
    4.10-RELEASE-p5 machine. Whenever I try to send a file with foreign
    characters, such as u-umlaut, u-grave, or whatever, the connection
    drops and the FreeBSD kernel hangs any furthur disk operation (such as
    df). any ideas on what might be causing this issue?

    Thanks

  2. Re: non-English characters cause connection drop

    For the client hanging problem, you can get around it by mounting with
    the "soft,intr" options. But this unfortunately violates the normal NFS
    assumption.

    Several questions first:
    - Is there anything from the Mac's log messages?
    - What filesystem is your firewire drive formatted with? (NTFS? HFS?)

    If you could take a packet trace (say, with tcpdump or ethereal), I
    could take a look. I'm curious about that, too.

+ Reply to Thread