root permissions on NFS shares - NFS

This is a discussion on root permissions on NFS shares - NFS ; I have created a few NFS shares on my network and have got almost all the kinks worked out. However, I noted one issue today that is quite annoying. If I am working as root on one of the machines ...

  1. root permissions on NFS shares

    I have created a few NFS shares on my network and have got almost all the
    kinks worked out. However, I noted one issue today that is quite annoying.
    If I am working as root on one of the machines accessing a share, I am
    unable to modify files on that share. It is obviously a permissions issue,
    but is there any way to give root, on any system, full permissions on all
    shares? I would like it to act as if the share was a local folder, if
    possible.

    Thank You,
    Jason Williard

  2. Re: root permissions on NFS shares

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.redhat.]

    Waaaay too many groups...

    On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 14:40:28 -0700, a posting issued forth from Jason Williard...
    > I have created a few NFS shares on my network and have got almost all the
    > kinks worked out. However, I noted one issue today that is quite annoying.
    > If I am working as root on one of the machines accessing a share, I am
    > unable to modify files on that share. It is obviously a permissions issue,
    > but is there any way to give root, on any system, full permissions on all
    > shares? I would like it to act as if the share was a local folder, if
    > possible.
    >
    > Thank You,
    > Jason Williard

    man exports

    looks for no_root_squash

    --
    Jacob
    mailto:`echo wnpbo@urvqre.ubzryvahk.arg | tr [a-z] [n-za-m]`

  3. Re: root permissions on NFS shares

    On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 14:40:28 -0700, Jason Williard wrote:

    > I have created a few NFS shares on my network and have got almost all the
    > kinks worked out. However, I noted one issue today that is quite annoying.
    > If I am working as root on one of the machines accessing a share, I am
    > unable to modify files on that share. It is obviously a permissions issue,
    > but is there any way to give root, on any system, full permissions on all
    > shares? I would like it to act as if the share was a local folder, if
    > possible.
    >
    > Thank You,
    > Jason Williard

    In the GUI tool options of the NFS export you have setup check.
    "Treat remote root as local root"
    Then reload NFS.
    /etc/init.d/nfs reload

+ Reply to Thread