NFS timeout problems intr - NFS

This is a discussion on NFS timeout problems intr - NFS ; I have a mount with the following options: rw,hard,intr,timeo=1 This is ok for the first attempt at accessing a mount on a crashed server as the process can be interrupted quickly , however the timeout increases every time I try ...

  1. NFS timeout problems intr

    I have a mount with the following options:
    rw,hard,intr,timeo=1

    This is ok for the first attempt at accessing a mount on a crashed
    server as the process can be interrupted quickly , however the timeout
    increases every time I try and access the server until it eventually
    reaches somewhere between 30 and 60 seconds depending on the initial
    value of timeo. is there any way of setting the maximum timeout to
    something in the region of 1 or 2 seconds to allow the process
    accessing the NFS server to be interrupted in a reasonable time.

  2. Re: NFS timeout problems intr

    Rob wrote:
    > I have a mount with the following options:
    > rw,hard,intr,timeo=1
    >
    > This is ok for the first attempt at accessing a mount on a crashed
    > server as the process can be interrupted quickly , however the timeout
    > increases every time I try and access the server until it eventually
    > reaches somewhere between 30 and 60 seconds depending on the initial
    > value of timeo. is there any way of setting the maximum timeout to
    > something in the region of 1 or 2 seconds to allow the process
    > accessing the NFS server to be interrupted in a reasonable time.

    You don't mention what client operating system you are
    using, and whether the mount is using TCP or UDP. So subject
    the those caveats, specifiying the retrans= option should
    give you the effect you want. For example, for timeo=1 and retrans=4,
    the timeouts will progress from 0.1, 0.2, 0.4, 0.8, and 1.6
    seconds, and the repeat the sequence starting at 0.1
    seconds.

    That said, low timeouts and retrans values will harm your NFS server,
    since it will spend much of its time processing retries of requests
    that are in progress. Perhaps you should invest in servers that
    don't crash. :-)

+ Reply to Thread