How do I determine from a Linux client whether an NFS mount is over UDP or TCP? - NFS

This is a discussion on How do I determine from a Linux client whether an NFS mount is over UDP or TCP? - NFS ; On Solaris its nfsstat -m, but I can't find a similar way to do so in Linux, other than using ethereal. Which I don't want my users to do.. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!...

  1. How do I determine from a Linux client whether an NFS mount is over UDP or TCP?

    On Solaris its nfsstat -m, but I can't find a similar way to do so in
    Linux, other than using ethereal. Which I don't want my users to do..

    Any help is appreciated.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: How do I determine from a Linux client whether an NFS mount is over UDP or TCP?

    In comp.os.linux.networking enjoylife_95135@hotmail.com:
    > On Solaris its nfsstat -m, but I can't find a similar way to do so in
    > Linux, other than using ethereal. Which I don't want my users to do..

    You can see this from the output of 'mount', if 'tcp' isn't
    displayed you are using 'udp' which is the default.

    #bofh excuse 352: The cables are not the same length.

  3. Re: How do I determine from a Linux client whether an NFS mount is over UDP or TCP?

    Michael Heiming wrote:

    > In comp.os.linux.networking enjoylife_95135@hotmail.com:
    >> On Solaris its nfsstat -m, but I can't find a similar way to do so in
    >> Linux, other than using ethereal. Which I don't want my users to do..

    > You can see this from the output of 'mount', if 'tcp' isn't
    > displayed you are using 'udp' which is the default.

    I don't see "tcp" on a mount between two SuSE 9.3 systems. I thought TCP
    was supposed to be default now. Also, ethereal shows TCP is being used for
    NFS.

    Can you provide an example?

  4. Re: How do I determine from a Linux client whether an NFS mount is over UDP or TCP?

    In comp.os.linux.networking James Knott :
    > Michael Heiming wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.networking enjoylife_95135@hotmail.com:
    >>> On Solaris its nfsstat -m, but I can't find a similar way to do so in
    >>> Linux, other than using ethereal. Which I don't want my users to do..

    >> You can see this from the output of 'mount', if 'tcp' isn't
    >> displayed you are using 'udp' which is the default.
    >>

    > I don't see "tcp" on a mount between two SuSE 9.3 systems. I thought TCP
    > was supposed to be default now. Also, ethereal shows TCP is being used for
    > NFS.

    > Can you provide an example?

    From taking a closer look, a few distro seem to have just changed
    the default protocol for nfs. So you can't be sure anymore thx to
    those punks. But looking at 'cat /proc/mounts' seems to always
    display the protocol used no matter which one is used unlike
    'mount' which doesn't always show the default (sadly).

    #bofh excuse 50: Change in Earth's rotational speed

  5. Re: How do I determine from a Linux client whether an NFS mount is over UDP or TCP?

    enjoylife_95135@hotmail.com wrote:

    > On Solaris its nfsstat -m, but I can't find a similar way to do so in
    > Linux, other than using ethereal. Which I don't want my users to do..
    >
    > Any help is appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Mount works for me...

    spinner ~ # mount

    nfsd on /proc/fs/nfs type nfsd (rw)

    rpc_pipefs on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)

    mutley:/ on /mnt/mroot type nfs
    (rw,noatime,rsize=65536,wsize=65536,retry=2,hard,i ntr,addr=192.168.0.1,tcp)

    sid:/ on /mnt/sid type nfs
    (rw,noatime,rsize=65536,wsize=65536,retry=2,hard,i ntr,addr=192.168.0.11,tcp)

    spinner ~ #

    --

    Registered Linux User Number 185956

+ Reply to Thread