kernel: nfs: server myserver not responding, still trying - NFS

This is a discussion on kernel: nfs: server myserver not responding, still trying - NFS ; Hi all I have the following error message: May 04 20:44:37 myclient kernel: nfs: server myserver not responding, still trying May 04 20:44:37 myclient kernel: nfs: server myserver OK May 04 20:44:53 myclient kernel: nfs: server myserver not responding, still ...

  1. kernel: nfs: server myserver not responding, still trying

    Hi all

    I have the following error message:

    May 04 20:44:37 myclient kernel: nfs: server myserver not responding, still trying
    May 04 20:44:37 myclient kernel: nfs: server myserver OK
    May 04 20:44:53 myclient kernel: nfs: server myserver not responding, still trying
    May 04 20:44:54 myclient kernel: nfs: server myserver OK
    May 04 20:47:05 myclient kernel: nfs: server myserver not responding, still trying

    and after the client stay waiting
    and you can ping rlogin ssh ... to the serveur.

    the server is: Red Hat 9 with only udp nfs v2 and v3 protocol
    the client is: RHEL 3

    there is no firewall on the both machines, it is a local network.

    Any help will be deeply appreciated!
    Olivier

  2. Re: kernel: nfs: server myserver not responding, still trying

    What type of hardware is involved.

    David

    Olivier wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > I have the following error message:
    >
    > May 04 20:44:37 myclient kernel: nfs: server myserver not responding,

    still trying
    > May 04 20:44:37 myclient kernel: nfs: server myserver OK
    > May 04 20:44:53 myclient kernel: nfs: server myserver not responding,

    still trying
    > May 04 20:44:54 myclient kernel: nfs: server myserver OK
    > May 04 20:47:05 myclient kernel: nfs: server myserver not responding,

    still trying

    > and after the client stay waiting
    > and you can ping rlogin ssh ... to the serveur.
    >
    > the server is: Red Hat 9 with only udp nfs v2 and v3 protocol
    > the client is: RHEL 3
    >
    > there is no firewall on the both machines, it is a local network.
    >
    > Any help will be deeply appreciated!
    > Olivier

  3. Re: kernel: nfs: server myserver not responding, still trying

    In article <1116369647.470325.128940@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    davegu1 wrote:
    >Olivier wrote:
    >>
    >> May 04 20:44:37 myclient kernel: nfs: server myserver not responding,

    >still trying
    >> May 04 20:44:37 myclient kernel: nfs: server myserver OK
    >> May 04 20:44:53 myclient kernel: nfs: server myserver not responding,

    >still trying
    >> May 04 20:44:54 myclient kernel: nfs: server myserver OK

    >What type of hardware is involved.

    Please don't top-post.

    Anyway, the type of hardware is irrelevant to a first approximation.
    I can't explain why this is, but it is a VERY common phenomon, and
    I have seen it on many different transports (and that is counting
    all Ethernets as one!) What it means is that there has been a
    glitch (maybe on the network, maybe a scheduler delay, maybe a
    too-tight timeout setting) and NFS has recovered. My success rate
    at tracking down the trigger is poor, and that of tracking down the
    cause is nil.

    Most people ignore it, which is why it is still so common :-(

    Regards,
    Nick Maclaren.

  4. Re: kernel: nfs: server myserver not responding, still trying

    **** you.

    "Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
    > In article <1116369647.470325.128940@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    > davegu1 wrote:
    >> Olivier wrote:
    >>>
    >>> May 04 20:44:37 myclient kernel: nfs: server myserver not
    >>> responding, still trying May 04 20:44:37 myclient kernel: nfs:
    >>> server myserver OK
    >>> May 04 20:44:53 myclient kernel: nfs: server myserver not
    >>> responding, still trying May 04 20:44:54 myclient kernel: nfs:
    >>> server myserver OK

    >> What type of hardware is involved.

    > Please don't top-post.

  5. Re: kernel: nfs: server myserver not responding, still trying

    Is there a code somewhere where someone can take a look at what code
    could this be causing the message.

    David

    Nick Maclaren wrote:
    > In article <1116369647.470325.128940@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    > davegu1 wrote:
    > >Olivier wrote:
    > >>
    > >> May 04 20:44:37 myclient kernel: nfs: server myserver not

    responding,
    > >still trying
    > >> May 04 20:44:37 myclient kernel: nfs: server myserver OK
    > >> May 04 20:44:53 myclient kernel: nfs: server myserver not

    responding,
    > >still trying
    > >> May 04 20:44:54 myclient kernel: nfs: server myserver OK

    > >What type of hardware is involved.

    > Please don't top-post.
    >
    > Anyway, the type of hardware is irrelevant to a first approximation.
    > I can't explain why this is, but it is a VERY common phenomon, and
    > I have seen it on many different transports (and that is counting
    > all Ethernets as one!) What it means is that there has been a
    > glitch (maybe on the network, maybe a scheduler delay, maybe a
    > too-tight timeout setting) and NFS has recovered. My success rate
    > at tracking down the trigger is poor, and that of tracking down the
    > cause is nil.
    >
    > Most people ignore it, which is why it is still so common :-(
    >

    > Regards,
    > Nick Maclaren.

  6. Re: kernel: nfs: server myserver not responding, still trying

    Hi all,

    There are no hardware problem, I have already change the switch and the cable.

    The client that fail is a v20z from Sun Microsystems, an I have also 15 clients
    on several platforms as solaris 9 on sparc, some PC in Solaris 10 and fedora core 3.

    I don't have any log for this problem.

    Olivier.

    davegu1 a écrit :
    > Is there a code somewhere where someone can take a look at what code
    > could this be causing the message.
    >
    > David
    >

    > Nick Maclaren wrote:
    >
    >>In article <1116369647.470325.128940@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    >>davegu1 wrote:

    > responding,
    >
    >>>still trying

    > responding,
    >
    >>>still trying

    >>>What type of hardware is involved.

    >>Please don't top-post.
    >>
    >>Anyway, the type of hardware is irrelevant to a first approximation.
    >>I can't explain why this is, but it is a VERY common phenomon, and
    >>I have seen it on many different transports (and that is counting
    >>all Ethernets as one!) What it means is that there has been a
    >>glitch (maybe on the network, maybe a scheduler delay, maybe a
    >>too-tight timeout setting) and NFS has recovered. My success rate
    >>at tracking down the trigger is poor, and that of tracking down the
    >>cause is nil.
    >>
    >>Most people ignore it, which is why it is still so common :-(
    >>

    >>Regards,
    >>Nick Maclaren.

  7. Re: kernel: nfs: server myserver not responding, still trying

    > Hi all,

    > There are no hardware problem, I have already change the switch and the cable.

    > The client that fail is a v20z from Sun Microsystems, an I have also 15 clients
    > on several platforms as solaris 9 on sparc, some PC in Solaris 10 and fedora core 3.

    > I don't have any log for this problem.

    Hello Olivier,
    Sometimes an NFS server can't respond fast enough because it
    is temporarily overloaded.

    Are there other applications running on the server that might be periodically
    depriving NFS of resources?

    Do you have a rogue NFS client, stuck in a tight loop, making NFS requests ?

    Also look into tuning your server's configuration: things like the
    size of the file system buffer cache and, if appropriate, the number
    of nfsds.

    DavidN -- University of Liverpool Computer Science

  8. Re: kernel: nfs: server myserver not responding, still trying

    Olivier wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > I have the following error message:
    >
    > May 04 20:44:37 myclient kernel: nfs: server myserver not responding,

    still trying
    > May 04 20:44:37 myclient kernel: nfs: server myserver OK
    > May 04 20:44:53 myclient kernel: nfs: server myserver not responding,

    still trying
    > May 04 20:44:54 myclient kernel: nfs: server myserver OK
    > May 04 20:47:05 myclient kernel: nfs: server myserver not responding,

    still trying

    I find the timestamps to be interesting. A second or less after the
    "not responding" is logged, "OK" is then logged.

    Might your NFS timeouts be too short? What's the value of
    timeo= and retrans=.

    You need to look at the packet traces to see if stuff is actually
    getting dropped, or if your timeouts are too short.

    If you aren't already, use TCP as your transport instead of UDP,
    and make sure your timeout is at least 60 seconds.

    > and after the client stay waiting
    > and you can ping rlogin ssh ... to the serveur.
    >
    > the server is: Red Hat 9 with only udp nfs v2 and v3 protocol
    > the client is: RHEL 3
    >
    > there is no firewall on the both machines, it is a local network.
    >
    > Any help will be deeply appreciated!
    > Olivier

+ Reply to Thread