Poor performance of NFS Over UDP. - NFS

This is a discussion on Poor performance of NFS Over UDP. - NFS ; Hello Everyone, We have the following environment. Two ES45 with a DEGXA PCI Gigabit Cards as follows: name = bcm0 category = network sub_category = Ethernet model = DEGXA hardware_rev = BCM5703_C0 firmware_rev = MAC_address = 00-10-18-0C-4E-39 MTU_size = 1500 ...

  1. Poor performance of NFS Over UDP.

    Hello Everyone,
    We have the following environment.
    Two ES45 with a DEGXA PCI Gigabit Cards as follows:
    name = bcm0
    category = network
    sub_category = Ethernet
    model = DEGXA
    hardware_rev = BCM5703_C0
    firmware_rev =
    MAC_address = 00-10-18-0C-4E-39
    MTU_size = 1500
    media_speed = 1000
    media_selection = Automatic

    The NFS Environment we have is clustered running only samba.
    The performance in the NFS Cluster is decreasing every day until it
    reaches a point in which we have to reboot the cluster once a month to
    clear out the cache and buffer. Then the services come back fine.
    The following errors are constantly logged on to the /var/adm/messages
    in relation to the

    RFS3_COMMIT
    RFS3_READ
    RFS3_WRITE
    RFS3_GETATTR, client address = xx.xx.xx.xx, errno 70
    rfs_dispatch: sendreply failed IP address: xx.xx.xx.xx
    rfs_dispatch: sendreply failed IP address: xx.xx.xx.xx
    NFS server: stale file handle fs(2554,616540) file 857277 gen 32771

    Our environment consists of over 40 TB of files in data being accross
    the NFS.
    Question:
    Is there a problem with the retransmit of large file systems, since
    most of our file systems are over 2 gig in size.

    Also, while doing some tests internally we noticed the following in
    MB/sec and while reading a file on being served by the CFS.

    In server 1 the reads were at 11 and the writes at 25
    In server 2 the reads were at 35 and the writes at 25

    Questions:
    Can someone tell me what is the high-performance blocksize for NFS V3.
    If there is a diagram online that will make us understand this better
    it will be greatly appreciated.

    TIA

    David

  2. Re: Poor performance of NFS Over UDP.

    The OS is Tru64 5.1B PK4 and the clients are 5.1A pk6.

    David

+ Reply to Thread