NFS: Error -13 Not Mounting - NFS

This is a discussion on NFS: Error -13 Not Mounting - NFS ; Hi, I am getting the following error in my system I have a root file system ar /home/rootfs I dont know what is the problem. please help. The Kernel is getting copied on target ; But root file system is ...

  1. NFS: Error -13 Not Mounting

    Hi,
    I am getting the following error in my system

    I have a root file system ar /home/rootfs

    I dont know what is the problem. please help.

    The Kernel is getting copied on target ; But root file system is not
    getting mounted
    using NFS.

    The Kernel and the root file system is in the same machine
    XX.YY.13.112.

    IP-Config: Got DHCP answer from XX.YY.13.112, my address is XX.YY.13.65
    IP-Config: Complete:
    device=eth0, addr=XX.YY.13.65, mask=255.255.255.0,
    gw=255.255.255.255,
    host=XX.YY.13.65, domain=, nis-domain=(none),
    bootserver=XX.YY.13.112, rootserver=XX.YY.13.112,
    rootpath=/home/rootfs
    Looking up port of RPC 100003/2 on XX.YY.13.112
    Looking up port of RPC 100005/1 on XX.YY.13.112
    Root-NFS: Server returned error -13 while mounting /home/rootfs
    VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floppy.
    VFS: No root yet, retrying to mount root on nfs (unknown-block(2,0))
    VFS: No root yet, retrying to mount root on nfs (unknown-block(2,0))
    VFS: No root yet, retrying to mount root on nfs (unknown-block(2,0))
    VFS: No root yet, retrying to mount root on nfs (unknown-block(2,0))
    VFS: No root yet, retrying to mount root on nfs (unknown-block(2,0))
    VFS: No root yet, retrying to mount root on nfs (unknown-block(2,0))
    VFS: Cannot open root device "nfs" or unknown-block(2,0)
    Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(2,0)

    File : /etc/exports looks like this
    /home/rootfs (rw,no_root_squash,no_all_squash)

    File:/etc/dhcpd.conf looks this this

    ddns-update-style ad-hoc;
    allow bootp;
    subnet XX.YY.13.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
    default-lease-time 1209600;
    max-lease-time 31557600;
    group {
    host accelerator.mistralsoftware.com {
    hardware Ethernet 00:0E:99:XX:YY:ZZ;
    fixed-address XX.YY.13.65;
    option root-path "/home/rootfs";
    }
    }
    }

    Please advice,

    Regards,
    John

  2. Re: NFS: Error -13 Not Mounting

    john.maximus@gmail.com wrote:
    (snip)

    > Root-NFS: Server returned error -13 while mounting /home/rootfs
    > VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floppy.

    (snip)

    > Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(2,0)

    For whatever reason the client isn't getting root access.

    I once had SunOS actually run this way, though not very well.
    If it does run the root file system is readonly which unix doesn't
    like at all. The sun tradition was the root= option which gave the IP
    address of specific machines allowed root access for that mount.

    It is pretty dangerous to export with root access to everyone.

    -- glen

+ Reply to Thread