NFS SUSE and SCO - NFS

This is a discussion on NFS SUSE and SCO - NFS ; I have 4 SCO UNIX V5 Desktop Systems that all run a common application and one is the holder of all projects via nfs. A problem exists that if a user is on the system that is the nfs server ...

  1. NFS SUSE and SCO

    I have 4 SCO UNIX V5 Desktop Systems that all run a common application
    and one is the holder of all projects via nfs. A problem exists that
    if a user is on the system that is the nfs server the others may get
    timeouts or read and write errors. The application is X based, so the
    computer is a little busy.

    My first thought was to purchase a fifth SCO UNIX system to dedicate to
    serve the files, but I thought why not Linux. So I threw together a PC
    with a PIII 600MHz and 256MB memory. I had an older SUSE 7.3 Pro
    distro on the shelf so I used it. I created the nfs share and mapped
    the desktops without any difficulty, but none can write or modify a
    file. On the SUSE system I had created a username, password and
    group/user id that matched the SCO systems.

    Is there something I that I am missing? I have a SUSE 9.0 distro at
    home, could I expect it would be any better? I have very little
    experience with Unix and Linux stuff most of my work is with OpenVMS
    and Windows.

  2. Re: NFS SUSE and SCO

    > I created the nfs share and mapped
    > the desktops without any difficulty, but none can write or modify a
    > file. On the SUSE system I had created a username, password and
    > group/user id that matched the SCO systems.
    >
    > Is there something I that I am missing?

    If there is no explicit "rw" (read/write) option in the exports file
    on the new NFS server, add one, run exportfs -a, and see if that makes
    a difference. For several versions of SuSE Linux, the default behavior
    is "ro" (read-only).

  3. Re: NFS SUSE and SCO

    Stuart Friedberg wrote:

    > > I created the nfs share and mapped
    > > the desktops without any difficulty, but none can write or modify a
    > > file. On the SUSE system I had created a username, password and
    > > group/user id that matched the SCO systems.
    > >
    > > Is there something I that I am missing?

    > If there is no explicit "rw" (read/write) option in the exports file
    > on the new NFS server, add one, run exportfs -a, and see if that makes
    > a difference. For several versions of SuSE Linux, the default
    > behavior is "ro" (read-only).

    Thanks, I'll check this at work tomorrow. I thought I remembered using
    the rw, but it has been a while so I recheck.

  4. Re: NFS SUSE and SCO

    Stuart Friedberg wrote:

    > > I created the nfs share and mapped
    > > the desktops without any difficulty, but none can write or modify a
    > > file. On the SUSE system I had created a username, password and
    > > group/user id that matched the SCO systems.
    > >
    > > Is there something I that I am missing?

    > If there is no explicit "rw" (read/write) option in the exports file
    > on the new NFS server, add one, run exportfs -a, and see if that makes
    > a difference. For several versions of SuSE Linux, the default
    > behavior is "ro" (read-only).

    You were right. I added (rw) to the end of the line in etc/exports and
    now it works fine. Thanks!!

+ Reply to Thread