A Problem about the disk space in nfs - NFS

This is a discussion on A Problem about the disk space in nfs - NFS ; Hello, everyone. I have a problem about the waste of disk space in nfs. Here is my case: Our lab has a cluster which consists of 8 nodes. Each of them has 80G initial disk space. I setup one of ...

  1. A Problem about the disk space in nfs

    Hello, everyone. I have a problem about the waste of disk space in
    nfs. Here is my case:

    Our lab has a cluster which consists of 8 nodes. Each of them has 80G
    initial disk space. I setup one of them as nfs server, and export some
    of its directory which can be shared by other 7 nodes. But after we use
    the nfs for a long time, the left free disk space is as follows:
    simu1 simu2 simu3 simu4 simu5 simu6 simu7 simu8
    21 34 12 32 41 35 24 11 (G)

    The simu8 is the nfs server.

    The problem is the disk space left on it is too small while almost each
    of other nodes has relative large space. What I need is to utilize the
    disk space in other nodes but still maintain a "flat" disk space. I
    know I could export certain directory of each other node, but how can I
    mount them all to one single directory? For example,

    simu1 --> /pub
    simu2 --> /pub
    simu3 --> /pub
    simu8 --> /pub

    But when I mount the exported "pub" directory in some machine, I can
    only mount one of them, right? And I could predict that after a short
    time, the disk space in that machine will be too small just like the
    above case on simu8.

  2. Re: A Problem about the disk space in nfs

    > The problem is the disk space left on it is too small while almost each
    > of other nodes has relative large space. What I need is to utilize the
    > disk space in other nodes but still maintain a "flat" disk space. I
    > know I could export certain directory of each other node, but how can I
    > mount them all to one single directory? For example,

    You might want to take a look at PVFS(2) (www.pvfs.org) - it is not NFS,
    but gives you a global view of a single directory for file systems
    located on an arbitrary number of nodes. Widely used in scientific
    computing.

    --
    Joachim - reply to joachim at domain ccrl-nece dot de

    Opinion expressed is personal and does not constitute
    an opinion or statement of NEC Laboratories.

+ Reply to Thread