Access NFS with more then 16 Groups - NFS

This is a discussion on Access NFS with more then 16 Groups - NFS ; Hello, my prob is that i got some users in my network, who need more then 16 groups. Evrything works fine except accessing NFS shares with this users. Got you any ideas how to avoid this prob? My second question ...

  1. Access NFS with more then 16 Groups

    Hello,

    my prob is that i got some users in my network, who need more then 16
    groups. Evrything works fine except accessing NFS shares with this
    users. Got you any ideas how to avoid this prob?

    My second question is about OpenGFS can i use it like NFS and did GFS
    handle more than 16 groups?
    I've also read about OpenAFS, but i think it's to complex for the
    belongings of my company. Anyway my question also here, can OpenAFS
    handle more than 16 groups?

    Sorry of my tough english, i hope you will forgive a little student?! :-)

    Thanks

  2. Re: Access NFS with more then 16 Groups

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Marcel_Gro=DFhans?= writes:

    >my prob is that i got some users in my network, who need more then 16
    >groups. Evrything works fine except accessing NFS shares with this
    >users. Got you any ideas how to avoid this prob?

    The problem is not with NFS but with the "AUTH_UNIX" aka
    "AUTH_SYS" or the "no security at all" protocol.

    If you use any of the security protocols, there is no
    limit in the number of groups.

    Casper

  3. Re: Access NFS with more then 16 Groups

    Casper H.S. Dik schrieb:
    > =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Marcel_Gro=DFhans?= writes:
    >

    >>my prob is that i got some users in my network, who need more then 16
    >>groups. Evrything works fine except accessing NFS shares with this
    >>users. Got you any ideas how to avoid this prob?

    > The problem is not with NFS but with the "AUTH_UNIX" aka
    > "AUTH_SYS" or the "no security at all" protocol.
    >
    > If you use any of the security protocols, there is no
    > limit in the number of groups.
    >
    > Casper

    Thank you, you are right. I had a look at
    /usr/src/linux/net/sunrpc/auth_unix.c and found the following entry:

    #define NFS_NGROUPS 16

    Is this constant the source of my Prob?

    I wanted to find out how to change to another security protocol. But i
    found this in /usr/src/linux/net/sunrpc/auth.c:

    static struct rpc_authops * auth_flavors[RPC_AUTH_MAXFLAVOR] = {
    &authnull_ops, /* AUTH_NULL */
    &authunix_ops, /* AUTH_UNIX */
    NULL, /* others can be loadable modules */
    };

    There are no entrys like AUTH_DES or AUTH_KERB! Is there any chance to
    change the protocol without compiling a new kernel or any other way?

    I use SuSE 9.2 with an 2.6.8 Kernel.

    Marcel

  4. Re: Access NFS with more then 16 Groups

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Marcel_Gro=DFhans?= writes:

    >There are no entrys like AUTH_DES or AUTH_KERB! Is there any chance to
    >change the protocol without compiling a new kernel or any other way?

    No; you either need to get NFSv4 for Linux or run a different OS.

    Casper
    be fiction rather than truth.

+ Reply to Thread