Re: Export NFS share as rw but is being mounted as ro? - NFS

This is a discussion on Re: Export NFS share as rw but is being mounted as ro? - NFS ; Huge wrote: > Mauricio Tavares writes: > >>This is a multi-part message in MIME format. > > > Please don't. > I did not think it was going to be read as an attachment. Anywhoo, here it is again, with ...

  1. Re: Export NFS share as rw but is being mounted as ro?

    Huge wrote:
    > Mauricio Tavares writes:
    >
    >>This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

    > Please don't.

    I did not think it was going to be read as an attachment. Anywhoo,
    here it is again, with a few more results:

    Stupid NFS question: I have a Solaris 8 box, moss, which is
    exporting (for whatever reason; I did not set it that way. I jsut want to
    get mailman working) /spool: as follows (from its /etc/dfs/dfstab file):

    share -F nfs -o rw=biomachines,anon=0 /spool

    mailman happens for whatever absurd reason to be in /spool. Just to
    make it clear (in case it could be relevant), spool is its own partition:

    /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s3 289207 57565 202722 23% /spool

    Now, I want to mount it in my webserver, papaya, which is in the
    biomachines NIS netgroup. So, for the heck of it , I try to mount it in
    my /mnt dir:

    root@papaya-6>mount -o rw moss:/spool/mailman /mnt
    root@papaya-7>pushd /mnt/
    /mnt ~
    root@papaya-8>ls
    Mailman cgi-bin lists messages scripts
    README.biostat cron locks moo spam
    archives data logs pythonlib templates
    bin icons mail qfiles tests
    root@papaya-9>cp README.biostat moose
    cp: cannot create moose: Read-only file system
    root@papaya-10>

    I also tried to ask what papaya sees the share as:

    root@papaya-11>/usr/sbin/mount -p | egrep "mailman|share"
    moss:/spool/mailman - /mnt nfs - no rw,xattr
    root@papaya-12>

    and tried the above on other unix (Solaris 9/Suse linux) boxes that are
    part of the same netgroup. The result was similar. Why is it being
    mounted as read-only? Out of the lbue, could it be because it is /spool
    that is being exported (again, do not ask me why. I did not set it that
    way)?

    --
    Mauricio raub-kudria-com
    (if you need to email me, use this address =)

  2. Re: Export NFS share as rw but is being mounted as ro?

    Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Mauricio Tavares writes:
    > >
    > > Stupid NFS question: I have a Solaris 8 box, moss, which is
    > > exporting (for whatever reason; I did not set it that way. I jsut

    want to
    > > get mailman working) /spool: as follows (from its /etc/dfs/dfstab

    file):

    > > share -F nfs -o rw=biomachines,anon=0 /spool
    > >
    > > mailman happens for whatever absurd reason to be in /spool. Just

    > [...]
    > > and tried the above on other unix (Solaris 9/Suse linux) boxes that

    are
    > > part of the same netgroup. The result was similar. Why is it being

    > > mounted as read-only?

    > The client is mounting it read-write, but the server is telling the
    > client it is read-only when the client tries to create files.
    > There's nothing in the mount protocol which indicates a read-only or
    > read-write mount as far as I recall, so at the time of mounting, the
    > server neither knows nor cares if the client thinks it's read-only
    > or read-write mounted.
    >
    > Most likely, the server doesn't think the client is in the

    biomachines
    > group. It might also happen if the server only has the underlying UFS
    > filesystem mounted read-only for some reason.

    Given that there is no 'ro' option passed to the share command, I
    suspect the latter (underlying filesystem mounted RO). Or the
    underlying
    filesystem is on RO media, like a CD-ROM.

+ Reply to Thread