NFS performance problems - NFS

This is a discussion on NFS performance problems - NFS ; I recently upgraded my home server from RH 8 to Fedora Core 2. NFS worked flawlessly under RH 8. There were no delays or other glitches. The server primarily serves movies ( 600 MB to 1.2 GB files ) to ...

  1. NFS performance problems

    I recently upgraded my home server from RH 8 to Fedora Core 2.

    NFS worked flawlessly under RH 8. There were no delays or other glitches.

    The server primarily serves movies ( 600 MB to 1.2 GB files ) to
    workstations through the house.

    Now, when I start a movie, there is a significant delay - 30 seconds or
    more - before the movie starts.

    Also, I get a periodic "NFS server tooth not responding" followed by a NFS
    server tooth OK" messages. These are console messages without a time
    stamp so it's hard to tell if the delay coincides with the message.

    There is nothing in the logs anywhere that I can find that might be amiss.

    I'm pretty much a NFS virgin... So is there a basic NFS troubleshooting
    HOWTO anywhere? I'm not looking to 'performance tune' as much as
    eliminate the extended delays I'm seeing.

    It seems to me that there is a cache or buffer fill problem somewhere, or
    a problem with disk access in Fedora.....

    Any help, pointers, etc. very much appreciated.

  2. Re: NFS performance problems

    On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 08:42:06 -0800, Captain Dondo wrote:

    > Also, I get a periodic "NFS server tooth not responding" followed by a NFS
    > server tooth OK" messages. These are console messages without a time
    > stamp so it's hard to tell if the delay coincides with the message.

    Resolved - the server has one good network card, and one cheapie network
    card. In the new OS install, they got reversed - the good card was
    connected to the SDSL modem and cheap card was connected to the switch.

    Cards reversed, problem solved.

+ Reply to Thread