2 NFS mounts to the same export? - NFS

This is a discussion on 2 NFS mounts to the same export? - NFS ; I know it's possible to have 2 NFS mounts, on the same host, to point to the same NFS export. Like this: mount 192.168.0.1:/storagearray /directory1 mount 192.168.0.1:/storagearray /directory2 However, is this the proper way to do it? Does this use ...

  1. 2 NFS mounts to the same export?

    I know it's possible to have 2 NFS mounts, on the same host, to point to the
    same NFS export. Like this:

    mount 192.168.0.1:/storagearray /directory1
    mount 192.168.0.1:/storagearray /directory2

    However, is this the proper way to do it? Does this use up a lot of
    resources? Would a better approach be to just NFS mount once, say, to
    /Directory1, and then use a symbolic link for /Directory2 (pointing to
    /Directory1)? If anyone can shed some light on the pros and cons of this
    topic, I would gretly appreciate it.

    Thanks,
    Brian

  2. Re: 2 NFS mounts to the same export?

    BT wrote:
    > I know it's possible to have 2 NFS mounts, on the same host, to point

    to the
    > same NFS export. Like this:
    >
    > mount 192.168.0.1:/storagearray /directory1
    > mount 192.168.0.1:/storagearray /directory2
    >

    > However, is this the proper way to do it? Does this use up a lot of
    > resources? Would a better approach be to just NFS mount once, say, to

    if the same file, e.g. /directory1/a and /directory2/a is accessed,
    then additional resources will be used, such as the data cache for
    the file.

    > /Directory1, and then use a symbolic link for /Directory2 (pointing

    > /Directory1)? If anyone can shed some light on the pros and cons of

    this
    > topic, I would gretly appreciate it.

    A symlink would be better. The con for that is that:
    % cd /directory2
    % /bin/pwd
    will produce /directory1 if directory2 is the symbolic link.

+ Reply to Thread