"mount_nfs: rpcbind on server: RPC: Program not registered" - NFS

This is a discussion on "mount_nfs: rpcbind on server: RPC: Program not registered" - NFS ; Hi all! You guys are my last resort here. I have a FreeBSD 5.3 RELEASE box at the office and a NetBSD 1.6.1 box at home. I'm trying to do something stunningly unimaginitive, mount my office nfs export on my ...

  1. "mount_nfs: rpcbind on server: RPC: Program not registered"

    Hi all!
    You guys are my last resort here.

    I have a FreeBSD 5.3 RELEASE box at the office and a NetBSD 1.6.1 box at
    home. I'm trying to do something stunningly unimaginitive, mount my
    office nfs export on my home box.

    I made the requisite entries in /etc/exports on the office machine,(also
    hosts.allow and hosts.deny for security) then started:
    mountd
    rpcbind
    nfsd

    On the home machine I then tried to mount the share:

    mount server:/usr/home/colin serverhome

    and (as the subject line states, got this error message:
    mount_nfs: rpcbind on server: RPC: Program not registered

    I've been wrestling with this problem for over a week now. Googling the
    specific error message itself didn't come up with a definitive answer so
    in desperation I thought I'd ask here.

    Help, guidance, suggestions - any and all would be more than welcome and
    most gratefully received.

    Regards,
    -Colin
    --
    Colin J. Raven
    NetBSD on a Cobalt Qube2 - http://www.NetBSD.org -

  2. Re: "mount_nfs: rpcbind on server: RPC: Program not registered"

    Colin J. Raven wrote:

    > Hi all!
    > You guys are my last resort here.
    >
    > I have a FreeBSD 5.3 RELEASE box at the office and a NetBSD 1.6.1 box at
    > home. I'm trying to do something stunningly unimaginitive, mount my
    > office nfs export on my home box.
    >
    > I made the requisite entries in /etc/exports on the office machine,(also
    > hosts.allow and hosts.deny for security) then started:
    > mountd
    > rpcbind
    > nfsd
    >
    > On the home machine I then tried to mount the share:
    >
    > mount server:/usr/home/colin serverhome
    >
    > and (as the subject line states, got this error message:
    > mount_nfs: rpcbind on server: RPC: Program not registered
    >
    > I've been wrestling with this problem for over a week now. Googling the
    > specific error message itself didn't come up with a definitive answer so
    > in desperation I thought I'd ask here.
    >
    > Help, guidance, suggestions - any and all would be more than welcome and
    > most gratefully received.
    >
    > Regards,
    > -Colin
    > --
    > Colin J. Raven
    > NetBSD on a Cobalt Qube2 - http://www.NetBSD.org -
    > Wed Dec 8 09:46:00 UTC 2004
    > 9:46AM up 5 days, 17:24, 9 users, load averages: 1.27, 1.22, 1.21

    That's a new error on me. Do you have portamp running?

    --

    ************************************************** ****************************
    Registered Linux User Number 185956

  3. Re: "mount_nfs: rpcbind on server: RPC: Program not registered"

    On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 09:46:39 +0000, "Colin J. Raven"
    wrote:

    >Hi all!
    >You guys are my last resort here.
    >
    >I have a FreeBSD 5.3 RELEASE box at the office and a NetBSD 1.6.1 box at
    >home. I'm trying to do something stunningly unimaginitive, mount my
    >office nfs export on my home box.
    >
    >I made the requisite entries in /etc/exports on the office machine,(also
    >hosts.allow and hosts.deny for security) then started:
    >mountd
    >rpcbind
    >nfsd
    >
    >On the home machine I then tried to mount the share:
    >
    >mount server:/usr/home/colin serverhome
    >
    >and (as the subject line states, got this error message:
    >mount_nfs: rpcbind on server: RPC: Program not registered
    >
    >I've been wrestling with this problem for over a week now. Googling the
    >specific error message itself didn't come up with a definitive answer so
    >in desperation I thought I'd ask here.
    >
    >Help, guidance, suggestions - any and all would be more than welcome and
    >most gratefully received.
    >
    >Regards,
    >-Colin

    I can't say I'm familiar with NetBSD. Does nfsd include server side
    daemons like statd and lockd?

    ~F

+ Reply to Thread