NFS on Clusters - NFS

This is a discussion on NFS on Clusters - NFS ; Hello everybody, i'm just playing around and wan't to build an active/active NFS Server. But when switching the service, clients get stale NFS handles. I figured out, that it has something to do with /var/lib/nfs. I'm using a Linux 2.4.21 ...

  1. NFS on Clusters

    Hello everybody,

    i'm just playing around and wan't to build an active/active NFS Server.
    But when switching the service, clients get stale NFS handles.
    I figured out, that it has something to do with /var/lib/nfs.
    I'm using a Linux 2.4.21 Kernel system.....
    What options have to be set, in order to get an active/active
    cluster running.

    Regards,

    D.Laurenz

  2. Re: NFS on Clusters

    On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 09:12:39 +0200, "Dirk Laurenz"
    wrote:

    >Hello everybody,
    >
    >i'm just playing around and wan't to build an active/active NFS Server.
    >But when switching the service, clients get stale NFS handles.
    >I figured out, that it has something to do with /var/lib/nfs.
    >I'm using a Linux 2.4.21 Kernel system.....
    >What options have to be set, in order to get an active/active
    >cluster running.
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >D.Laurenz

    No clue what the specific settings are but the IP address has to be
    picked up by the partner. In appliance level failover the mac and IP
    are assumed by the partner. Only in this way are mounts and locks
    kept on the client. At least afaik.

    ~F

  3. Re: NFS on Clusters

    Hi,

    thanks, in advance, but i already failover a virtual ip but not the mac address. Do you have any firther suggestion?
    "Faeandar" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:btr8n0dknh7rehsa9bhkth1e3fvluu7fs2@4ax.com...
    > On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 09:12:39 +0200, "Dirk Laurenz"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Hello everybody,
    > >
    > >i'm just playing around and wan't to build an active/active NFS Server.
    > >But when switching the service, clients get stale NFS handles.
    > >I figured out, that it has something to do with /var/lib/nfs.
    > >I'm using a Linux 2.4.21 Kernel system.....
    > >What options have to be set, in order to get an active/active
    > >cluster running.
    > >
    > >Regards,
    > >
    > >D.Laurenz
    > >

    > No clue what the specific settings are but the IP address has to be
    > picked up by the partner. In appliance level failover the mac and IP
    > are assumed by the partner. Only in this way are mounts and locks
    > kept on the client. At least afaik.
    >
    > ~F

  4. Re: NFS on Clusters

    On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 20:21:23 +0200, "Dirk Laurenz"
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >thanks, in advance, but i already failover a virtual ip but not the mac address. Do you have any firther suggestion?
    >"Faeandar" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:btr8n0dknh7rehsa9bhkth1e3fvluu7fs2@4ax.com...
    >> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 09:12:39 +0200, "Dirk Laurenz"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hello everybody,
    >> >
    >> >i'm just playing around and wan't to build an active/active NFS Server.
    >> >But when switching the service, clients get stale NFS handles.
    >> >I figured out, that it has something to do with /var/lib/nfs.
    >> >I'm using a Linux 2.4.21 Kernel system.....
    >> >What options have to be set, in order to get an active/active
    >> >cluster running.
    >> >
    >> >Regards,
    >> >
    >> >D.Laurenz
    >> >

    >> No clue what the specific settings are but the IP address has to be
    >> picked up by the partner. In appliance level failover the mac and IP
    >> are assumed by the partner. Only in this way are mounts and locks
    >> kept on the client. At least afaik.
    >>
    >> ~F

    Hmm, only that there has to be coherency between whatever holds the
    locks on each server. In the appliance world it's nvram, don';t know
    what it is in the Linux world. But it has to exist otherwise there's
    no migration of locks and this causes the stale mounts. Any new
    connection would be fine, but existing ones on the failed partner will
    stale and hang.

    ~F

  5. Re: NFS on Clusters

    Faeandar wrote in message news:...
    > On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 20:21:23 +0200, "Dirk Laurenz"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >thanks, in advance, but i already failover a virtual ip but not the mac address. Do you have any firther suggestion?
    > >"Faeandar" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:btr8n0dknh7rehsa9bhkth1e3fvluu7fs2@4ax.com...

    > >> No clue what the specific settings are but the IP address has to be
    > >> picked up by the partner. In appliance level failover the mac and IP
    > >> are assumed by the partner. Only in this way are mounts and locks
    > >> kept on the client. At least afaik.
    > >>
    > >> ~F

    > Hmm, only that there has to be coherency between whatever holds the
    > locks on each server. In the appliance world it's nvram, don';t know
    > what it is in the Linux world. But it has to exist otherwise there's
    > no migration of locks and this causes the stale mounts. Any new
    > connection would be fine, but existing ones on the failed partner will
    > stale and hang.
    >
    > ~F

    you're switching the disk that you're serving between servers when you
    fail over right?

    the major and minor device numbers need to be the same when you fail
    over the disk. see http://linuxha.trick.ca/HaNFS

    active/active means that both servers in your cluster (assuming it's
    just 2) are each serving NFS shares. it's not clear from your note if
    that's what you're thinking.

  6. Re: NFS on Clusters

    Hi,

    > you're switching the disk that you're serving between servers when you
    > fail over right?
    >
    > the major and minor device numbers need to be the same when you fail
    > over the disk. see http://linuxha.trick.ca/HaNFS
    >
    > active/active means that both servers in your cluster (assuming it's
    > just 2) are each serving NFS shares. it's not clear from your note if
    > that's what you're thinking.

    That's right, it's a two node cluster with shared disks. But they're used with
    lvm on top. Major / Minor Numbers are equal.

+ Reply to Thread