NFS on DSM - NFS

This is a discussion on NFS on DSM - NFS ; I wanted to know that why does NFS use RPC and not Distributed Shared Memory (DSM) ? What are the drawbacks if NFS is implemented using DSM ? Tejas Kokje University of Southern California...

  1. NFS on DSM

    I wanted to know that why does NFS use RPC and not Distributed Shared
    Memory (DSM) ?

    What are the drawbacks if NFS is implemented using DSM ?

    Tejas Kokje
    University of Southern California

  2. Re: NFS on DSM

    In article , Tejas Arun Kokje wrote:
    > I wanted to know that why does NFS use RPC and not Distributed Shared
    > Memory (DSM) ?

    Because DSM is a model/topology for parallel computing.

    If remote file systems were used as DSM then fileserver would have to read
    everything to its main memory which would mean lots and lots of resources
    needed (think about 1000 users all having large files open at the same
    time).

    --
    Mr. Mikael Holm, +358505862479, +358445862479
    mikael.holm(a)lut.fi, http://www2.lut.fi/~holm/

+ Reply to Thread