open NFS file without block - NFS

This is a discussion on open NFS file without block - NFS ; If the network connection could be down for the NFS mount, how can I open a NFS file without being blocked? I tried to use open("...", O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK); which times out after a fairly LONG period even when I mount with ...

  1. open NFS file without block

    If the network connection could be down for the NFS mount, how can I open
    a NFS file without being blocked?

    I tried to use
    open("...", O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK);
    which times out after a fairly LONG period even when I mount with
    soft option (also, timeo=1,retrans=0,retry=1).

    Is there a way to get immediate (nonblock) fail notice if the network is
    disconnected? Thanks.

    -- Cheng

  2. Re: open NFS file without block

    Cheng Huang wrote:
    > If the network connection could be down for the NFS mount, how can I open
    > a NFS file without being blocked?
    >
    > I tried to use
    > open("...", O_RDWR|O_NONBLOCK);
    > which times out after a fairly LONG period even when I mount with
    > soft option (also, timeo=1,retrans=0,retry=1).
    >
    > Is there a way to get immediate (nonblock) fail notice if the network is
    > disconnected? Thanks.
    >
    > -- Cheng

    Did you try to mount the nfs share in nonblock mode? There is an mount
    option for this, see man nfs.

    - Sascha

+ Reply to Thread