NFS-UTILS file blocking - NFS

This is a discussion on NFS-UTILS file blocking - NFS ; Hello: I am using nfs-utils to export from SuSE 9.1 pro (kernel 2.6.5-7.95-default and nfs-utils-1.0.6-103) to another one a dir with docs. We are working with OpenOffice. My problem is that if two different people want to use the same ...

  1. NFS-UTILS file blocking

    Hello:

    I am using nfs-utils to export from SuSE 9.1 pro (kernel
    2.6.5-7.95-default and nfs-utils-1.0.6-103) to another one a dir with docs.
    We are working with OpenOffice.

    My problem is that if two different people want to use the same file they do
    not know it and the last one that saves detetes the work of the other.

    In the server:

    *#*rpcinfo*-p
    ***programa*vers*proto***puerto
    ****100000****2***tcp****111**portmapper
    ****100000****2***udp****111**portmapper
    ****100003****2***udp***2049**nfs
    ****100003****3***udp***2049**nfs
    ****100227****3***udp***2049**nfs_acl
    ****100003****2***tcp***2049**nfs
    ****100003****3***tcp***2049**nfs
    ****100227****3***tcp***2049**nfs_acl
    ****100021****1***udp***1029**nlockmgr
    ****100021****3***udp***1029**nlockmgr
    ****100021****4***udp***1029**nlockmgr
    ****100024****1***udp***1029**status
    ****100021****1***tcp***1182**nlockmgr
    ****100021****3***tcp***1182**nlockmgr
    ****100021****4***tcp***1182**nlockmgr
    ****100024****1***tcp***1182**status
    ****100005****1***udp****972**mountd
    ****100005****1***tcp****975**mountd
    ****100005****2***udp****972**mountd
    ****100005****2***tcp****975**mountd
    ****100005****3***udp****972**mountd
    ****100005****3***tcp****975**mountd
    In the client:

    rpcinfo -p
    ***programa*vers*proto***puerto
    ****100000****2***tcp****111**portmapper
    ****100000****2***udp****111**portmapper
    ****100021****1***udp**32771**nlockmgr
    ****100021****3***udp**32771**nlockmgr
    ****100021****4***udp**32771**nlockmgr
    ****100024****1***udp**32771**status
    ****100021****1***tcp**32792**nlockmgr
    ****100021****3***tcp**32792**nlockmgr
    ****100021****4***tcp**32792**nlockmgr
    ****100024****1***tcp**32792**status

    In the client: cat /proc/mounts:

    carmen:/home/imanol/Documents /media/carmen nfs
    rw,v3,rsize=4096,wsize=4096,hard,tcp,lock,addr=car men 0 0

    This are the "defaults".

    Does anyone know the way to solve this? It's becaming to be a serious
    problem.

    Many thanks to everybody,

    Imanol

  2. Re: NFS-UTILS file blocking

    Imanol wrote in message news:<2lv7svFh431kU1@uni-berlin.de>...
    > Hello:
    >
    > I am using nfs-utils to export from SuSE 9.1 pro (kernel
    > 2.6.5-7.95-default and nfs-utils-1.0.6-103) to another one a dir with docs.
    > We are working with OpenOffice.
    >
    > My problem is that if two different people want to use the same file they do
    > not know it and the last one that saves detetes the work of the other.

    [...]

    > Does anyone know the way to solve this? It's becaming to be a serious

    No file access protocol that I know of is going to solve this
    problem.

    You'd have the same problems if your people were accessing a
    file on a local filesystem like ext3.

    What you need to do is to implement a policy for how
    two people who what to uodate a file coordinate. One way is to
    use a tool like RCS, where a user "checks out" a file for
    editing. As long as each user follows that policy, then
    you won't lose work.

    > problem.
    >
    > Many thanks to everybody,
    >
    > Imanol