RedHat 9 NFS Server, Solaris 8, Irix 6.5 clients - NFS

This is a discussion on RedHat 9 NFS Server, Solaris 8, Irix 6.5 clients - NFS ; I'll start out by apologizing if this is covered some place. I can't find it anywhere. I've got RedHat 9 serving NFS shares to Solaris 8 and Irix 6.5 clients (other servers actually) and am getting very inconsistent performance. Writes ...

  1. RedHat 9 NFS Server, Solaris 8, Irix 6.5 clients

    I'll start out by apologizing if this is covered some place. I can't
    find it anywhere.

    I've got RedHat 9 serving NFS shares to Solaris 8 and Irix 6.5 clients
    (other servers actually) and am getting very inconsistent performance.
    Writes seem to work fairly well from all clients. Reads seem to be
    very slow from Solaris 8, and moderately slow from Irix. This is all
    over Gig ethernet. Here are some performance numbers using a 20 GB
    file.

    Irix write to Linux = 25 min
    Irix write to Irix = 44 min
    Solaris write to Linux = 18 min
    Linux write to Linux = 17 min
    Solaris read from Linux = 68 min
    Solaris read from Solaris = 32 min
    Irix read from Linux = 47 min
    Linux read from Linux = 18 min

    The Irix read/write times to linux look pretty consistent and seem
    acceptable. The Solaris write time is good, but the read time is
    horrible. Read time from a solaris NFS server via solaris client is
    much better.

    Is there a known problem with a solaris client/linux server NFS
    implementation? Is there a known work around or some best practices?
    I'm pulling my hair out...

    Thanks in advance for any advice.

    Chester.

  2. Re: RedHat 9 NFS Server, Solaris 8, Irix 6.5 clients

    "Chester" wrote in message
    news:22a2b6d4.0406290450.64b6983a@posting.google.c om...
    > I'll start out by apologizing if this is covered some place. I can't
    > find it anywhere.
    >
    > I've got RedHat 9 serving NFS shares to Solaris 8 and Irix 6.5 clients
    > (other servers actually) and am getting very inconsistent performance.
    > Writes seem to work fairly well from all clients. Reads seem to be
    > very slow from Solaris 8, and moderately slow from Irix. This is all
    > over Gig ethernet. Here are some performance numbers using a 20 GB
    > file.
    >
    > Irix write to Linux = 25 min
    > Irix write to Irix = 44 min
    > Solaris write to Linux = 18 min
    > Linux write to Linux = 17 min
    > Solaris read from Linux = 68 min
    > Solaris read from Solaris = 32 min
    > Irix read from Linux = 47 min
    > Linux read from Linux = 18 min
    >
    > The Irix read/write times to linux look pretty consistent and seem
    > acceptable. The Solaris write time is good, but the read time is
    > horrible. Read time from a solaris NFS server via solaris client is
    > much better.
    >
    > Is there a known problem with a solaris client/linux server NFS
    > implementation? Is there a known work around or some best practices?
    > I'm pulling my hair out...
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any advice.
    >
    > Chester.

    Chester,

    Perhaps http://nfs.sourceforge.net might be of help.

    Enjoy,
    Mangled&Munged

  3. Re: RedHat 9 NFS Server, Solaris 8, Irix 6.5 clients

    Thanks. I didn't find anything that addresses my issue at the site,
    but it was interesting reading. Further testing confirms that we have
    major NFS issues with a RedHat 9 server and Solaris 8 client. I'm
    getting some more hardware together to test some alternate
    configurations. If anyone has any suggestions (short of "don't use
    linux for NFS server") I'd like to hear them.

    Thanks,

    Chester

    "Mangled&Munged" wrote in message news:<3YfEc.14823$x9.9594@nwrddc02.gnilink.net>...
    > "Chester" wrote in message
    > news:22a2b6d4.0406290450.64b6983a@posting.google.c om...
    > > I'll start out by apologizing if this is covered some place. I can't
    > > find it anywhere.
    > >
    > > I've got RedHat 9 serving NFS shares to Solaris 8 and Irix 6.5 clients
    > > (other servers actually) and am getting very inconsistent performance.
    > > Writes seem to work fairly well from all clients. Reads seem to be
    > > very slow from Solaris 8, and moderately slow from Irix. This is all
    > > over Gig ethernet. Here are some performance numbers using a 20 GB
    > > file.
    > >
    > > Irix write to Linux = 25 min
    > > Irix write to Irix = 44 min
    > > Solaris write to Linux = 18 min
    > > Linux write to Linux = 17 min
    > > Solaris read from Linux = 68 min
    > > Solaris read from Solaris = 32 min
    > > Irix read from Linux = 47 min
    > > Linux read from Linux = 18 min
    > >
    > > The Irix read/write times to linux look pretty consistent and seem
    > > acceptable. The Solaris write time is good, but the read time is
    > > horrible. Read time from a solaris NFS server via solaris client is
    > > much better.
    > >
    > > Is there a known problem with a solaris client/linux server NFS
    > > implementation? Is there a known work around or some best practices?
    > > I'm pulling my hair out...
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for any advice.
    > >
    > > Chester.

    > Chester,
    >
    > Perhaps http://nfs.sourceforge.net might be of help.
    >
    > Enjoy,
    > Mangled&Munged

  4. Re: RedHat 9 NFS Server, Solaris 8, Irix 6.5 clients

    "Chester" wrote in message
    news:22a2b6d4.0407081307.36f8979c@posting.google.c om...
    > Thanks. I didn't find anything that addresses my issue at the site,
    > but it was interesting reading. Further testing confirms that we have
    > major NFS issues with a RedHat 9 server and Solaris 8 client. I'm
    > getting some more hardware together to test some alternate
    > configurations. If anyone has any suggestions (short of "don't use
    > linux for NFS server") I'd like to hear them.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Chester

    Chester,

    RedHat 9 has an old 2.4 ish kernel. The NFS server will appear to
    support wsize=rsize=32768. (The client mount succeeds) BUT, it
    actually is not doing 32k operations, but instead 8k operations. This
    can make the latency a dominate variable in the performance equation.
    Later kernels have support for 32k block sizes. (Example: 2.6 ish
    kernels
    have 32k block size support :-) Also, the VM subsystem in 2.6 is much
    better than 2.4 and the I/O scheduing in 2.6 also is much better.

    If you're pumping big files over NFS V3, I strongly recommend an upgrade
    on your RedHat 9 server's kernel :-)

    Enjoy
    Mangle&Munged

  5. Re: RedHat 9 NFS Server, Solaris 8, Irix 6.5 clients

    "Mangled&Munged" wrote in message news:...
    > "Chester" wrote in message
    > news:22a2b6d4.0407081307.36f8979c@posting.google.c om...
    > > Thanks. I didn't find anything that addresses my issue at the site,
    > > but it was interesting reading. Further testing confirms that we have
    > > major NFS issues with a RedHat 9 server and Solaris 8 client. I'm
    > > getting some more hardware together to test some alternate
    > > configurations. If anyone has any suggestions (short of "don't use
    > > linux for NFS server") I'd like to hear them.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Chester
    > >

    > Chester,
    >
    > RedHat 9 has an old 2.4 ish kernel. The NFS server will appear to
    > support wsize=rsize=32768. (The client mount succeeds) BUT, it
    > actually is not doing 32k operations, but instead 8k operations. This
    > can make the latency a dominate variable in the performance equation.
    > Later kernels have support for 32k block sizes. (Example: 2.6 ish
    > kernels
    > have 32k block size support :-) Also, the VM subsystem in 2.6 is much
    > better than 2.4 and the I/O scheduing in 2.6 also is much better.
    >
    > If you're pumping big files over NFS V3, I strongly recommend an upgrade
    > on your RedHat 9 server's kernel :-)
    >
    > Enjoy
    > Mangle&Munged

    I made the attempt. Unfortunately I have an LSI Logic MegaRaid
    controller in this server (and I'm booting off it) and I'm having
    problems getting that working with the 2.6 kernel. At this point I'm
    thoroughly frustrated. I have demonstrated that the problem does not
    seem to exist with a Fedora core2 based nfs server and solaris 8
    client. The problem also goes away if I use a solaris 9 client with
    RH9 NFS server (kernel 2.4).

    Damn. It just shouldn't be this hard.

    Any additional thoughts are welcome.

+ Reply to Thread