Windows XP to SCO Unix - NFS

This is a discussion on Windows XP to SCO Unix - NFS ; I am currently transferring files by FTP from an XP machine to a SCO Unix machine with no problem. Is it possible to configure XP and SCO such that the SCO directory/file tree can be seen with the Windows Explorer? ...

  1. Windows XP to SCO Unix

    I am currently transferring files by FTP from an XP machine to a SCO Unix
    machine with no problem. Is it possible to configure XP and SCO such that
    the SCO directory/file tree can be seen with the Windows Explorer? The /u
    file system on the SCO machine is exported as NFS and was once connected to
    another SCO which mounted the exported file system successfully.

  2. Re: Windows XP to SCO Unix

    "dpm" wrote in message
    > I am currently transferring files by FTP from an XP machine to a SCO Unix
    > machine with no problem. Is it possible to configure XP and SCO such that
    > the SCO directory/file tree can be seen with the Windows Explorer? The /u
    > file system on the SCO machine is exported as NFS and was once connected

    > another SCO which mounted the exported file system successfully.

    New buzz word for you.

    Samba

    Samba is your friend. It allows you to do what's called "LAN Manager" (or
    SMB) sharing, i.e. what Windows talks.

    What version of 'SCO' are you using?

    bkx

  3. Re: Windows XP to SCO Unix

    "dpm" wrote in message news:...
    > I am currently transferring files by FTP from an XP machine to a SCO Unix
    > machine with no problem. Is it possible to configure XP and SCO such that
    > the SCO directory/file tree can be seen with the Windows Explorer? The /u
    > file system on the SCO machine is exported as NFS and was once connected to
    > another SCO which mounted the exported file system successfully.

    SAMBA is free and a good option.

    I use AFPS from SCO , it is alos a goods option.

    In both you'll see directoies and printers from the win box

  4. Re: Windows XP to SCO Unix

    in comp.unix.misc i read:

    >I am currently transferring files by FTP from an XP machine to a SCO Unix
    >machine with no problem. Is it possible to configure XP and SCO such that
    >the SCO directory/file tree can be seen with the Windows Explorer? The /u
    >file system on the SCO machine is exported as NFS and was once connected to
    >another SCO which mounted the exported file system successfully.

    get an nfs client for your ms windows xp system.

    --
    a signature

  5. Re: Windows XP to SCO Unix

    "dpm" wrote in message
    > I am currently transferring files by FTP from an XP machine to a SCO Unix
    > machine with no problem. Is it possible to configure XP and SCO such that
    > the SCO directory/file tree can be seen with the Windows Explorer? The /u
    > file system on the SCO machine is exported as NFS and was once connected to
    > another SCO which mounted the exported file system successfully.

    You shouldn't have to do anything special to see the directory tree in
    Windows Explorer, assuming that the Folders view is enabled, as it
    should be by default. Just enter:

    ftp://rootassword@10.0.0.1/

    in the address bar (using the actual IP address and root password, if
    you're comfortable with this lack of security), and your SCO directory
    tree will appear under My Network Places.

    Bob

  6. Re: Windows XP to SCO Unix

    "Bob Bailin" <72027.3605@compuserve.com> wrote in message
    news:8bMtc.1643$n65.1083@newssvr33.news.prodigy.co m...

    > You shouldn't have to do anything special to see the directory tree in
    > Windows Explorer, assuming that the Folders view is enabled, as it
    > should be by default. Just enter:
    >
    > ftp://rootassword@10.0.0.1/
    >
    > in the address bar (using the actual IP address and root password, if
    > you're comfortable with this lack of security), and your SCO directory
    > tree will appear under My Network Places.
    >
    > Bob

    Use Samba for local access on the LAN. SMB too slow over internet
    connection.

    Use ftp for remote access from home, but needs to be through vpn for
    security. Use ftp://root@server , and it will bring up a login prompt for
    the password. Could tunnel it through SSH remotely, but
    WinSCP would be better if no vpn. It will give a Windows Explorer-like
    interface through OpenSSH.

    David P. Lurie

  7. Re: Windows XP to SCO Unix

    In article <40b6d343@dnews.tpgi.com.au>,
    Stuart J. Browne wrote:

    > New buzz word for you.
    >
    > Samba

    Didn't the Samba developers revoke the GPL license for SCO's use of
    Samba because SCO's violations of the GPL license?

    Migration from Windows XP to SCO Unix seems like a waste of time. SCO
    is no longer a software company, their main business today is to sue
    their former partners and customers. Not a nice environment to migrate
    to.

    --
    Göran Larsson http://www.mitt-eget.com/

  8. Re: Windows XP to SCO Unix

    In comp.unix.misc dpm wrote:
    > I am currently transferring files by FTP from an XP machine to a SCO Unix
    > machine with no problem. Is it possible to configure XP and SCO such that
    > the SCO directory/file tree can be seen with the Windows Explorer? The /u
    > file system on the SCO machine is exported as NFS and was once connected to
    > another SCO which mounted the exported file system successfully.

    If i knew anything about SCO products i would be unable to give anyone
    else any hints about it's usage. I fear that SCO would sue me for
    disseminating theoir trade secrets.

    So i keep my mouth shut.

    --
    Peter Håkanson

  9. Re: Windows XP to SCO Unix

    phn@icke-reklam.ipsec.nu wrote in message news:...
    > In comp.unix.misc dpm wrote:
    > > I am currently transferring files by FTP from an XP machine to a SCO Unix
    > > machine with no problem. Is it possible to configure XP and SCO such that
    > > the SCO directory/file tree can be seen with the Windows Explorer? The /u
    > > file system on the SCO machine is exported as NFS and was once connected to
    > > another SCO which mounted the exported file system successfully.

    > If i knew anything about SCO products i would be unable to give anyone
    > else any hints about it's usage. I fear that SCO would sue me for
    > disseminating theoir trade secrets.
    >
    > So i keep my mouth shut.

    Don't waste your time. Here in Brazil we have a lot of poor people
    that you can help or teach.

    Helio.

  10. Re: Windows XP to SCO Unix

    In comp.unix.misc Helio Cardoso wrote:
    > phn@icke-reklam.ipsec.nu wrote in message news:...
    >> In comp.unix.misc dpm wrote:
    >> > I am currently transferring files by FTP from an XP machine to a SCO Unix
    >> > machine with no problem. Is it possible to configure XP and SCO such that
    >> > the SCO directory/file tree can be seen with the Windows Explorer? The /u
    >> > file system on the SCO machine is exported as NFS and was once connected to
    >> > another SCO which mounted the exported file system successfully.

    >> If i knew anything about SCO products i would be unable to give anyone
    >> else any hints about it's usage. I fear that SCO would sue me for
    >> disseminating theoir trade secrets.
    >>
    >> So i keep my mouth shut.

    > Don't waste your time. Here in Brazil we have a lot of poor people
    > that you can help or teach.

    I would be happy to. But the language is a barrier(unless we
    can use english )

    May ws-ftp be a solution for the original question ?

    --
    Peter Håkanson

  11. Re: Windows XP to SCO Unix

    Helio Cardoso wrote:

    > phn@icke-reklam.ipsec.nu wrote in message news:...
    >
    >>In comp.unix.misc dpm wrote:
    >>
    >>>I am currently transferring files by FTP from an XP machine to a SCO Unix
    >>>machine with no problem. Is it possible to configure XP and SCO such that
    >>>the SCO directory/file tree can be seen with the Windows Explorer? The /u
    >>>file system on the SCO machine is exported as NFS and was once connected to
    >>>another SCO which mounted the exported file system successfully.

    >>If i knew anything about SCO products i would be unable to give anyone
    >>else any hints about it's usage. I fear that SCO would sue me for
    >>disseminating theoir trade secrets.
    >>
    >>So i keep my mouth shut.

    > Don't waste your time. Here in Brazil we have a lot of poor people
    > that you can help or teach.
    >
    > Helio.

    There is a product called "VisionFS" runnig on SCO, that product act as
    Lan Manager, so the Unix server is seen as an Windows server.

+ Reply to Thread