NFS mount loses addressability after approx 36 hours??? - NFS

This is a discussion on NFS mount loses addressability after approx 36 hours??? - NFS ; I have two servers, and one needs to mount 2 directories from the other one. Both servers are running RH Linux 8, and sit two servers away on the same rack behind the same switch. I do the mount from ...

  1. NFS mount loses addressability after approx 36 hours???

    I have two servers, and one needs to mount 2 directories from the
    other one.

    Both servers are running RH Linux 8, and sit two servers away on the
    same rack behind the same switch.

    I do the mount from server B to server A, and everything works just
    fine. Then approx. 36 hours later, neither machine can see the other
    one with a ping or traceroute, and when I login to server B and run
    df, it hangs indefinitely.

    If I do a shutdown -r now on Server B, the shutdown hangs, while it
    attempts to umount the mount -- since it can't resolve to that server.

    I've got the /etc/hosts file pointing locally to each of the servers.

    Does anyone know what could be causing this to occur?

    I'd appreciate any help with this...
    Kim

  2. Re: NFS mount loses addressability after approx 36 hours???

    kalbee wrote:

    > I have two servers, and one needs to mount 2 directories from the
    > other one.

    What kernels are they running? One possibility is that there is a
    memory leak somewhere that has been addressed in a later kernel
    version. I'd up2date the machines to make sure they are current. Does
    it happen if the machines aren't using NFS? I ask because it may not be
    a nfs issue.

    Good luck,

    Steve

    > Both servers are running RH Linux 8, and sit two servers away on the
    > same rack behind the same switch.
    >
    > I do the mount from server B to server A, and everything works just
    > fine. Then approx. 36 hours later, neither machine can see the other
    > one with a ping or traceroute, and when I login to server B and run
    > df, it hangs indefinitely.
    >
    > If I do a shutdown -r now on Server B, the shutdown hangs, while it
    > attempts to umount the mount -- since it can't resolve to that server.
    >
    > I've got the /etc/hosts file pointing locally to each of the servers.
    >
    > Does anyone know what could be causing this to occur?
    >
    > I'd appreciate any help with this...
    > Kim

+ Reply to Thread