slackware installation using NFS fails - NFS

This is a discussion on slackware installation using NFS fails - NFS ; Currently in want to install Slackware Linux version 3.3.0 based around the 2.0.30 Linux kernel on an old 468DX2 computer using NFS. My server is a Linux machine running on Suse 8.2 (kernel 2.4.20). The situation now is that I ...

  1. slackware installation using NFS fails

    Currently in want to install Slackware Linux version 3.3.0 based around
    the 2.0.30 Linux kernel on an old 468DX2 computer using NFS. My server
    is a Linux machine running on Suse 8.2 (kernel 2.4.20). The situation
    now is that I only can install the boot and root-floppy and can run setup.

    The problem that I encounter is that the connection is poor, sometimes
    contact and sometimes not. Also ping gives a lot of package loss (from
    75% to 100%).

    My question: How can I solve this, has this to do with low linux kernel
    on client-machine? Or has this to do with the fact that the client
    ethernet-card is 10 MBits (and server 100 MBits)?

    INFO SERVERSIDE:
    program vers proto port
    100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
    100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
    100024 1 udp 1028 status
    100024 1 tcp 2383 status
    100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
    100003 3 udp 2049 nfs
    100021 1 udp 1029 nlockmgr
    100021 3 udp 1029 nlockmgr
    100021 4 udp 1029 nlockmgr
    100005 1 udp 1030 mountd
    100005 1 tcp 3654 mountd
    100005 2 udp 1030 mountd
    100005 2 tcp 3654 mountd
    100005 3 udp 1030 mountd
    100005 3 tcp 3654 mountd

    INFO CLIENTSIDE:
    1) ifconfig eth0 installed
    2) setup started which mounts NFS, when exited it is dismounted (?)
    because I don't see it mounted anymore.
    3) Manually mounts okay (only after I use setup, probably starts the
    portmap which by the way I can not do manually):
    192.168.x.x:/dir on /nfs type nfs
    (rw,hard,intr,rsize=1024,wsize=1024,addr=192.168.x .x)
    4) cd /nfs
    5) ls -l, sometimes works, sometimes not
    message:
    NFS server 192.168.x.x not responding, still trying.
    NFS server 192.168.x.x OK.

    Can anybody help me out?
    Thanks. Edward

  2. Re: slackware installation using NFS fails

    on 2004-03-07, in <404afde6$0$570$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>,
    these words of wisdom from edward hage did appear:
    > Currently in want to install Slackware Linux version 3.3.0 based around
    > the 2.0.30 Linux kernel on an old 468DX2 computer using NFS. My server
    > is a Linux machine running on Suse 8.2 (kernel 2.4.20). The situation
    > now is that I only can install the boot and root-floppy and can run setup.
    >
    > The problem that I encounter is that the connection is poor, sometimes
    > contact and sometimes not. Also ping gives a lot of package loss (from
    > 75% to 100%).
    >
    > My question: How can I solve this, has this to do with low linux kernel
    > on client-machine? Or has this to do with the fact that the client
    > ethernet-card is 10 MBits (and server 100 MBits)?

    (b). If you can't set them both to auto, then set them first both
    to 10 mbps half, then 10 mbps full, then 100 mbps half, etc.
    Where it breaks up, back up one.

    I'm sorry I can't give you a reference; I picked it up in one of the
    posts I read while scanning the newsgroup(s). :-)

    Good Luck!
    Rich

  3. Re: slackware installation using NFS fails

    I tried some pinging with several packages. Also this did not work before.

    Package loss = 0% for ping -s8 192.168.0.3, this sends 16k packages. 17k
    packages seems to cause the following error:
    ICMP: failed checksum from 192.168.0.2!

    So it seems indeed to be related to the different speeds of the
    ethernetcards (or package-size that they expect). I have no experience
    with this. Is it logic that this causes the NFS connection to be poor?

    If yes, how can I make sure that the the packages send over are small
    enough to ensure a good connection (not necessaraly a quick one)?

    Does rsize and wsize have to do with this? They are already set to 1024,
    I also tried to mount them (the nfs client with these settings) with
    size=512, but then mounting failed:
    mount: fs type nfs not supported by kernele=512

    Rich Grise wrote:
    > on 2004-03-07, in <404afde6$0$570$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>,
    > these words of wisdom from edward hage did appear:
    >
    >>Currently in want to install Slackware Linux version 3.3.0 based around
    >>the 2.0.30 Linux kernel on an old 468DX2 computer using NFS. My server
    >>is a Linux machine running on Suse 8.2 (kernel 2.4.20). The situation
    >>now is that I only can install the boot and root-floppy and can run setup.
    >>
    >>The problem that I encounter is that the connection is poor, sometimes
    >>contact and sometimes not. Also ping gives a lot of package loss (from
    >>75% to 100%).
    >>
    >>My question: How can I solve this, has this to do with low linux kernel
    >>on client-machine? Or has this to do with the fact that the client
    >>ethernet-card is 10 MBits (and server 100 MBits)?

    > (b). If you can't set them both to auto, then set them first both
    > to 10 mbps half, then 10 mbps full, then 100 mbps half, etc.
    > Where it breaks up, back up one.
    >
    > I'm sorry I can't give you a reference; I picked it up in one of the
    > posts I read while scanning the newsgroup(s). :-)
    >
    > Good Luck!
    > Rich

  4. Re: slackware installation using NFS fails

    on 2004-03-07, in <404afde6$0$570$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>,
    these words of wisdom from edward hage did appear:
    > Currently in want to install Slackware Linux version 3.3.0 based around
    > the 2.0.30 Linux kernel on an old 468DX2 computer using NFS. My server
    > is a Linux machine running on Suse 8.2 (kernel 2.4.20). The situation
    > now is that I only can install the boot and root-floppy and can run setup.

    Why so old? Just because you have an old machine doesn't mean you have to
    install old Slack. I've got 9.1, kernel 2.4.22, running on a Cyrix 6X86 P150;
    and I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work just fine on any old 486.

    > The problem that I encounter is that the connection is poor, sometimes
    > contact and sometimes not. Also ping gives a lot of package loss (from
    > 75% to 100%).
    >
    > My question: How can I solve this, has this to do with low linux kernel
    > on client-machine? Or has this to do with the fact that the client
    > ethernet-card is 10 MBits (and server 100 MBits)?

    I thought I had already answered this - if they don't both have an "auto"
    option, then set them both to 10MBPS half-duplex, and make it go. If it
    won't go, then something's busted. If it does, then up it to 10 MBps
    full-duplex, and so on. When it breaks, back up one.

    Good Luck!
    Rich

    > Can anybody help me out?
    > Thanks. Edward

  5. Re: slackware installation using NFS fails

    On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 11:57:30 +0000, Rich Grise wrote:

    > on 2004-03-07, in <404afde6$0$570$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>,
    > these words of wisdom from edward hage did appear:
    >> Currently in want to install Slackware Linux version 3.3.0 based around
    >> the 2.0.30 Linux kernel on an old 468DX2 computer using NFS. My server
    >> is a Linux machine running on Suse 8.2 (kernel 2.4.20). The situation
    >> now is that I only can install the boot and root-floppy and can run setup.
    >>
    >> The problem that I encounter is that the connection is poor, sometimes
    >> contact and sometimes not. Also ping gives a lot of package loss (from
    >> 75% to 100%).
    >>
    >> My question: How can I solve this, has this to do with low linux kernel
    >> on client-machine? Or has this to do with the fact that the client
    >> ethernet-card is 10 MBits (and server 100 MBits)?

    > (b). If you can't set them both to auto, then set them first both
    > to 10 mbps half, then 10 mbps full, then 100 mbps half, etc.
    > Where it breaks up, back up one.
    >
    > I'm sorry I can't give you a reference; I picked it up in one of the
    > posts I read while scanning the newsgroup(s). :-)
    >
    > Good Luck!
    > Rich

    I'd be more inclined to think there's either a bad nic card or cable in
    the mix. I've mixed 10 and 100 without trouble for years.

  6. Re: slackware installation using NFS fails

    Thanks for the reply Rich,

    How can I set them to 10 MBits half-duplex. Is this a setting for the
    router? I couldn't find this in the manual. I do know that a LED
    indicates that the connection is 10 MBPS or 100 MBPS. So the router must
    'know' that the old computer is 10 MBits and the new computer 100 MBits.
    But maybe the new computer doesn't know this abou the old one, or am I
    not making sense now !

    By the way. I tried an old Slackware version because I could not get a
    newer version booted. I ran into trouble when I got the bootdisk or the
    root-disk in (the computer just hang). Vs. 3.6 of slackware seemed to
    work for mcd.i + color.gz but for NFS I need the net.i boot and when I
    used this the root-disk color.gz hang on me.

    I have an old CD-player that is not capable of reading CD-R's so that's
    why the choice for NFS setup.

    greetings

    Rich Grise wrote:
    > on 2004-03-07, in <404afde6$0$570$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>,
    > these words of wisdom from edward hage did appear:
    >
    >>Currently in want to install Slackware Linux version 3.3.0 based around
    >>the 2.0.30 Linux kernel on an old 468DX2 computer using NFS. My server
    >>is a Linux machine running on Suse 8.2 (kernel 2.4.20). The situation
    >>now is that I only can install the boot and root-floppy and can run setup.

    > Why so old? Just because you have an old machine doesn't mean you have to
    > install old Slack. I've got 9.1, kernel 2.4.22, running on a Cyrix 6X86 P150;
    > and I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work just fine on any old 486.
    >

    >>The problem that I encounter is that the connection is poor, sometimes
    >>contact and sometimes not. Also ping gives a lot of package loss (from
    >>75% to 100%).
    >>
    >>My question: How can I solve this, has this to do with low linux kernel
    >>on client-machine? Or has this to do with the fact that the client
    >>ethernet-card is 10 MBits (and server 100 MBits)?

    > I thought I had already answered this - if they don't both have an "auto"
    > option, then set them both to 10MBPS half-duplex, and make it go. If it
    > won't go, then something's busted. If it does, then up it to 10 MBps
    > full-duplex, and so on. When it breaks, back up one.
    >
    > Good Luck!
    > Rich
    >

    >>Can anybody help me out?
    >>Thanks. Edward

  7. Re: slackware installation using NFS fails

    Did some research on the internet and discovered the mii-tool. I think
    you meant this tool when you advised to alter the connection.

    My new computer had 100baseTx-FD flow-control (link ok) and I forced it
    to 10baseT-HD.
    Pinging and NFS connection still the same result, bad connection.

    Strange thing is that pinging from my router (192.168.0.1) to the old
    computer (.3) with packages of 32 bytes is okay and from the new
    computer (.2) is bad.

    Can anybody give me some new insights about this. I am running out of
    options (good pinging from .1 to .3 excludes bad cable I think!).

+ Reply to Thread