steps involved in an nfs mount() - NFS

This is a discussion on steps involved in an nfs mount() - NFS ; hi i want to implement an nfs mount protocol on linux platform in c. can anyone tell me what are the major steps involved in the client and the server for the mount()?? thanks all...

  1. steps involved in an nfs mount()

    hi
    i want to implement an nfs mount protocol on linux platform in c.
    can anyone tell me what are the major steps involved in the client and
    the server for the mount()??
    thanks all

  2. Re: steps involved in an nfs mount()

    cdac_proj@yahoo.co.in (oxfordite) wrote in message news:<7112ed2.0403032136.68e4cafe@posting.google.com>...
    > hi
    > i want to implement an nfs mount protocol on linux platform in c.
    > can anyone tell me what are the major steps involved in the client and
    > the server for the mount()??
    > thanks all

    It isn't clear what you want to do.

    Implement a new nfs mount command? Why not just change existing
    mount command?

    Implement a user level mount client? Again, why not start with
    the existing mount command source?

    But that begs the question as it what you'll do with a file handle
    from the server once you get it? About all you can do is send an
    unmount request to the server. The file handles's primary use is
    a input into the NFS protocol.

    Or, take the .x file for the mount protocol,
    run rpcgen -a on it, and get a bunch of stubs that you
    can massage into a client. Since mount without nfs isn't
    mucb use, I usually make a single .x file containing the
    mount protocol and the nfs protocol and run rpcgen -a on that.

    The basic steps are thus:

    - MOUNTPROC_MNT to get a file handle of an exported directory
    (or a descendent)
    - NFS LOOKUP to get a file handle of a file or directory in
    under the target

    - an applicable operation (NFS READ, READDIR, WRITE, CREATE, etc.)

+ Reply to Thread