Looking for good books on NFS - NFS

This is a discussion on Looking for good books on NFS - NFS ; I've found the 2nd edition O'Reilly book as well as NFS Illustrated by Brent Callaghan. Anyone have experience with either of these and any other recommendations? I'm looking to become an NFS expert in a relatively short time. (I have ...

  1. Looking for good books on NFS

    I've found the 2nd edition O'Reilly book as well as NFS Illustrated by
    Brent Callaghan.

    Anyone have experience with either of these and any other
    recommendations?

    I'm looking to become an NFS expert in a relatively short time. (I
    have some background already but need more in-depth)

    Thanks.

    ~F

  2. Re: Looking for good books on NFS

    Faeandar wrote in message news:...
    > I've found the 2nd edition O'Reilly book as well as NFS Illustrated by
    > Brent Callaghan.
    >
    > Anyone have experience with either of these and any other
    > recommendations?
    >
    > I'm looking to become an NFS expert in a relatively short time. (I
    > have some background already but need more in-depth)

    Although it is self serving, Brent's book, and my 2nd edition book
    are pretty much the only games in town. :-)

    Vendor documentation is of course a useful source of information.

    The various NFS and RPC rfcs are there.

    Look for the NFSv2 white paper by Sanberg et. al., and the
    NFSv3 and NFSv4 white papers by Pawlowski et. al.

    > Thanks.
    >
    > ~F

  3. Re: Looking for good books on NFS

    On 22 Feb 2004 14:52:25 -0800, spamisevi1@yahoo.com (Mike Eisler)
    wrote:

    >Faeandar wrote in message news:...
    >> I've found the 2nd edition O'Reilly book as well as NFS Illustrated by
    >> Brent Callaghan.
    >>
    >> Anyone have experience with either of these and any other
    >> recommendations?
    >>
    >> I'm looking to become an NFS expert in a relatively short time. (I
    >> have some background already but need more in-depth)

    >Although it is self serving, Brent's book, and my 2nd edition book
    >are pretty much the only games in town. :-)
    >
    >Vendor documentation is of course a useful source of information.
    >
    >The various NFS and RPC rfcs are there.
    >
    >Look for the NFSv2 white paper by Sanberg et. al., and the
    >NFSv3 and NFSv4 white papers by Pawlowski et. al.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> ~F

    Truth is truth, whether or not it serves those who broker the truth.

    Huh?

    Anyway, thanks for the post and also the reminder that vendors have
    info too. I always forget that one....

    ~F

  4. Re: Looking for good books on NFS

    Ok, now for the Devils Advocate....

    How much new info is there between 1st and 2nd addition really? I
    mean, v2 and v3 were both out when 1st addition was printed, and if
    2nd edition doesn't have that much on v4, what's the difference?

    Thanks.

    ~F

    wrote:

    >Faeandar wrote in message news:...
    >> I've found the 2nd edition O'Reilly book as well as NFS Illustrated by
    >> Brent Callaghan.
    >>
    >> Anyone have experience with either of these and any other
    >> recommendations?
    >>
    >> I'm looking to become an NFS expert in a relatively short time. (I
    >> have some background already but need more in-depth)

    >Although it is self serving, Brent's book, and my 2nd edition book
    >are pretty much the only games in town. :-)
    >
    >Vendor documentation is of course a useful source of information.
    >
    >The various NFS and RPC rfcs are there.
    >
    >Look for the NFSv2 white paper by Sanberg et. al., and the
    >NFSv3 and NFSv4 white papers by Pawlowski et. al.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> ~F

  5. Re: Looking for good books on NFS

    Faeandar wrote in message news:...
    > Ok, now for the Devils Advocate....
    >
    > How much new info is there between 1st and 2nd addition really? I
    > mean, v2 and v3 were both out when 1st addition was printed, and if

    The first edition was printed in 1991. NFSv3 didn't come out till
    1993 (as a specification, products followed a year or so later).

    Other things you won't find in the 1st edition:

    NFS w/ Kerberos V5 authentication, NFS over TCP, ACLs, autofs, client
    side failover.

    The second edition came in in 2001. In ten years, there were
    advancements in NFS technology.

    Thanks for asking!

  6. Re: Looking for good books on NFS

    On 2 Mar 2004 14:54:50 -0800, spamisevi1@yahoo.com (Mike Eisler)
    wrote:

    >Faeandar wrote in message news:...
    >> Ok, now for the Devils Advocate....
    >>
    >> How much new info is there between 1st and 2nd addition really? I
    >> mean, v2 and v3 were both out when 1st addition was printed, and if

    >The first edition was printed in 1991. NFSv3 didn't come out till
    >1993 (as a specification, products followed a year or so later).
    >
    >Other things you won't find in the 1st edition:
    >
    >NFS w/ Kerberos V5 authentication, NFS over TCP, ACLs, autofs, client
    >side failover.
    >
    >The second edition came in in 2001. In ten years, there were
    >advancements in NFS technology.
    >
    >Thanks for asking!

    Looking at the printing info I find you are correct. I had to look
    because I couldn't believe it has been that long; I'm getting old.

    Thanks.

    ~F

  7. Re: Looking for good books on NFS

    I just ordered the book, I'll give you my critique in a few weeks. :-]

    ~F

    wrote:

    >Faeandar wrote in message news:...
    >> Ok, now for the Devils Advocate....
    >>
    >> How much new info is there between 1st and 2nd addition really? I
    >> mean, v2 and v3 were both out when 1st addition was printed, and if

    >The first edition was printed in 1991. NFSv3 didn't come out till
    >1993 (as a specification, products followed a year or so later).
    >
    >Other things you won't find in the 1st edition:
    >
    >NFS w/ Kerberos V5 authentication, NFS over TCP, ACLs, autofs, client
    >side failover.
    >
    >The second edition came in in 2001. In ten years, there were
    >advancements in NFS technology.
    >
    >Thanks for asking!

+ Reply to Thread