any portmapper supporting ipv6 - NFS

This is a discussion on any portmapper supporting ipv6 - NFS ; hi all I am trying to mount one directory through nfs over iPV6. which Iam not able to do and I guess it has some problem with portmapper . Is there any ipv6 supporting portmapper. Any pointer or solution to ...

  1. any portmapper supporting ipv6

    hi all
    I am trying to mount one directory through nfs over iPV6.
    which Iam not able to do and I guess it has some problem with
    portmapper . Is there any ipv6 supporting portmapper.

    Any pointer or solution to mount nfs on ipv6 are welcome.
    thanks for your time,
    Aravind.

  2. Re: any portmapper supporting ipv6

    aravindhs@tataelxsi.co.in (Aravind) writes:

    > I am trying to mount one directory through nfs over iPV6.
    > which Iam not able to do and I guess it has some problem with
    > portmapper . Is there any ipv6 supporting portmapper.
    >
    > Any pointer or solution to mount nfs on ipv6 are welcome.

    The portmapper would be only a minor part of your problem: AFAIK, very few
    operating systems currently support ONC RPC over IPv6 in the kernel, which
    of course is a requirement for NFS over IPv6. Solaris 8 and up do, Linux
    doesn't even in the 2.6 kernel series. Neither do IRIX 6.5 or Tru64 UNIX
    up to V5.1B, which are the other ones I know about.

    So if you're tied to x86 hardware, you may want to try Solaris/x86 (perhaps
    even Solaris Express, to become Solaris 10, which already includes NFSv4
    support).

    Rainer

    Rainer Orth, Faculty of Technology, Bielefeld University

  3. Re: any portmapper supporting ipv6

    aravindhs@tataelxsi.co.in (Aravind) wrote in message news:<3a7606aa.0402180110.259c09b1@posting.google.com>...
    > hi all
    > I am trying to mount one directory through nfs over iPV6.
    > which Iam not able to do and I guess it has some problem with
    > portmapper . Is there any ipv6 supporting portmapper.
    >
    > Any pointer or solution to mount nfs on ipv6 are welcome.
    > thanks for your time,
    > Aravind.

    As Rainer Orth says, the portmapper is the least of your
    problems. That said, you need to be running rpcbind and not
    the portmapper, because the portmapper protocol doesn't
    have enough information in its binding table to distinguish
    udp and tcp IPv4 from udp and tcp IPv6. The Solaris rpcbind
    will return entries marked as udp6 and tcp6 to distinguish
    services listening on just IPv4. See the Solris /etc/netconfig
    filer.

+ Reply to Thread