QOS and NFS - NFS

This is a discussion on QOS and NFS - NFS ; I was wondering if anyone has experienced issues with NFS while multitasking. Even simple operations like "ls" run very slowly while performing another operation (decompressing one large 100MB+ file for instance). We use Redhat 7.3 at the place that I ...

  1. QOS and NFS

    I was wondering if anyone has experienced issues with NFS while
    multitasking. Even simple operations like "ls" run very slowly while
    performing another operation (decompressing one large 100MB+ file for
    instance). We use Redhat 7.3 at the place that I work. Redhat 7.2
    doesn't seem to have this problem, nor do our HP or Sun machines.
    Thoughts? Thanks for the help.

  2. Re: QOS and NFS

    Uri wrote:

    > I was wondering if anyone has experienced issues with NFS while
    > multitasking. Even simple operations like "ls" run very slowly while
    > performing another operation (decompressing one large 100MB+ file for
    > instance). We use Redhat 7.3 at the place that I work. Redhat 7.2
    > doesn't seem to have this problem, nor do our HP or Sun machines.
    > Thoughts? Thanks for the help.

    I don't know that NFS does any priority ordering, such that
    directory lookups would go ahead of read/write operations.

    It might be that your client or server are overloaded, and slow
    to respond. One that I have seen NFS do, is run slow on a directory
    with a huge number (tens or hundreds of thousands) of files in it.

    The directory search is done on the server, and on many systems
    is a linear search.

    -- glen

  3. Re: QOS and NFS

    spam@4refs.com (Uri) wrote in message news:<257ba8d0.0401192241.63e2eb38@posting.google.com>...
    > I was wondering if anyone has experienced issues with NFS while
    > multitasking. Even simple operations like "ls" run very slowly while
    > performing another operation (decompressing one large 100MB+ file for
    > instance). We use Redhat 7.3 at the place that I work. Redhat 7.2
    > doesn't seem to have this problem, nor do our HP or Sun machines.
    > Thoughts? Thanks for the help.

    I don't know what is different between rh 7.2 or 7.3, but
    you might try running a newer Linux 2.4 kernel than what is in
    rh 7.4. Trond and Chuck are always tweaking the 2.4 nfs client.

    I know that various versions of the Linux nfs client have limits
    on the number of outstanding remote procedure calls each mounted
    NFS filesystem can have. I don't know why rh 7.3 would have this,
    and 7.2 not.

+ Reply to Thread