not responding - NFS

This is a discussion on not responding - NFS ; Using the HP Ignite to install client from server, I got NFS server ip-address not responding still trying NFS server ip-address not responding still trying NFS server ip-address ok and such pattern is being repeated indefinitely. tcpdump host server and ...

  1. not responding

    Using the HP Ignite to install client from server, I got
    NFS server ip-address not responding still trying
    NFS server ip-address not responding still trying
    NFS server ip-address ok
    and such pattern is being repeated indefinitely.
    tcpdump host server and client
    tells me "server > client: icmp: ip reassembly time exceeded (DF)"
    What's going on?

    Jun Z

  2. Re: not responding

    Jun Zhang wrote:

    > Using the HP Ignite to install client from server, I got
    > NFS server ip-address not responding still trying
    > NFS server ip-address not responding still trying
    > NFS server ip-address ok
    > and such pattern is being repeated indefinitely.
    > tcpdump host server and client
    > tells me "server > client: icmp: ip reassembly time exceeded (DF)"
    > What's going on?

    Packets are being lost. If this is on a local network,
    then you have network problems. If this is long
    distance, through the public Internet, then it is
    business as usual. NFS likes to send 8K packets,
    which have a fairly low survival rate on the Internet.

    This can be partially fixed by reducing RSIZE and WSIZE.

    You should also tune the various timeout parameters.

    Another possibility is to use TCP based NFS.

    -- glen

  3. Re: not responding

    Sigh. NFS/UDP is the crack cocaine of Networked Attached Storage users.
    I wish NFS vendors charged a premium for NFS/UDP ... then it
    might go away.

    By any chance is there a mismatch between the speed of the server's
    ethernet controller and that of the client. E.g. is one a 100mbit
    NIC and the other 1 gbit NIC?

    glen herrmannsfeldt wrote in message news:...
    > Jun Zhang wrote:
    >
    > > Using the HP Ignite to install client from server, I got
    > > NFS server ip-address not responding still trying
    > > NFS server ip-address not responding still trying
    > > NFS server ip-address ok
    > > and such pattern is being repeated indefinitely.
    > > tcpdump host server and client
    > > tells me "server > client: icmp: ip reassembly time exceeded (DF)"
    > > What's going on?

    > Packets are being lost. If this is on a local network,
    > then you have network problems. If this is long
    > distance, through the public Internet, then it is
    > business as usual. NFS likes to send 8K packets,
    > which have a fairly low survival rate on the Internet.
    >
    > This can be partially fixed by reducing RSIZE and WSIZE.
    >
    > You should also tune the various timeout parameters.
    >
    > Another possibility is to use TCP based NFS.
    >
    > -- glen

+ Reply to Thread