Query about mounting - NFS

This is a discussion on Query about mounting - NFS ; I wish to export both server://home and server://home/fred and mount them as /mnt/NFS/server_home/ and /home/fred/NFS/server_fred. Is this possible? I keep getting 'permission denied' at the prompt and 'rpc.mountd: getfh failed: Operation not permitted' in the log Is it something to ...

  1. Query about mounting

    I wish to export both server://home and server://home/fred and mount them
    as /mnt/NFS/server_home/ and /home/fred/NFS/server_fred.

    Is this possible? I keep getting 'permission denied' at the
    prompt and 'rpc.mountd: getfh failed: Operation not permitted' in the log

    Is it something to do with mounting a subdirectory of an already mounted
    directory?

  2. Re: Query about mounting

    John Stolz wrote:

    > I wish to export both server://home and server://home/fred and mount them
    > as /mnt/NFS/server_home/ and /home/fred/NFS/server_fred.

    > Is this possible? I keep getting 'permission denied' at the
    > prompt and 'rpc.mountd: getfh failed: Operation not permitted' in the log

    > Is it something to do with mounting a subdirectory of an already mounted
    > directory?

    You export server://home, and then you can mount that, or any
    subdirectory of it. You are not allowed to export a subdirectory
    of something already exported, but you can mount a subdirectory
    of what is exported.

    -- glen

+ Reply to Thread