Receiving old (deleted) file ID's from NFS server. - NFS

This is a discussion on Receiving old (deleted) file ID's from NFS server. - NFS ; My problem occurs when using a Solaris 8 NFS server and a VxWorks 5.5 NFS client. When the client machine is booted, it will (eventually) attempt to use POSIX "open" to create a log file on the server. Most of ...

  1. Receiving old (deleted) file ID's from NFS server.

    My problem occurs when using a Solaris 8 NFS server and a VxWorks 5.5
    NFS client. When the client machine is booted, it will (eventually)
    attempt to use POSIX "open" to create a log file on the server. Most
    of the time this works. Occasionally it does not (the "open" call
    returns with an error code).

    There are no permission or file space problems on the NFS server
    preventing creation of a new log. Therefore, I used a packet sniffer
    (Ethereal) to see if I could determine why this is happening. It
    revealed that these "open" failures occur when an old (deleted) NFS
    file ID is sent to the client (VxWorks) from the server (Solaris).

    Does anyone have any experience with this (or advice on how to prevent
    it from happening)? From the client side (VxWorks) I have had no luck
    using "ioctl" with the sync options. Is it possible to flush the NFS
    server cache (would "sync" work or are there other commands-line tools
    for doing this)?

    Thanks in advance.

    -Matt

    -
    Matthew Becker * Xerox Corporation * matthew.becker@usa.xerox.com

  2. Re: Receiving old (deleted) file ID's from NFS server.

    Roughly 12/30/03 11:07, Matthew Becker's monkeys randomly typed:

    > My problem occurs when using a Solaris 8 NFS server and a VxWorks 5.5
    > NFS client. When the client machine is booted, it will (eventually)
    > attempt to use POSIX "open" to create a log file on the server. Most
    > of the time this works. Occasionally it does not (the "open" call
    > returns with an error code).
    >
    > There are no permission or file space problems on the NFS server
    > preventing creation of a new log. Therefore, I used a packet sniffer
    > (Ethereal) to see if I could determine why this is happening. It
    > revealed that these "open" failures occur when an old (deleted) NFS
    > file ID is sent to the client (VxWorks) from the server (Solaris).

    The file wasn't deleted, otherwise the server would not have
    returned a file handle for it.

    More likely an application on the client is keeping the file
    open and the server is renaming the same file handle to
    .nfs[foo] to avoid handing the client a stale file handle
    error.

    When it fails, look for .nfs**** files on the server.

    --
    Fan of the dumbest team in America.