NFS Ports - NFS

This is a discussion on NFS Ports - NFS ; Which ports does NFS use, i.e. what holes have to be punched into a firewall to pass through? -- Copyright 2003 Angela Kahealani. All rights reserved without prejudice; UCC1-207. All information and transactions are non negotiable and are private between ...

  1. NFS Ports

    --
    Copyright 2003 Angela Kahealani. All rights reserved without prejudice;
    UCC1-207. All information and transactions are non negotiable and are
    private between the parties. http://www.kahealani.com/

  2. Re: NFS Ports

    > Which ports does NFS use, i.e.
    Angela, try this:
    Well known ports http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers
    has listed.

    nfs 2049/tcp Network File System - Sun Microsystems
    nfs 2049/udp Network File System - Sun Microsystems

    --
    Mathias Heinel

  3. Re: NFS Ports

    But nfs uses RPC as well so I think you need to open those at 30k and
    up.

    ~F

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 15:34:36 GMT, "Mathias Heinel"
    wrote:

    >> Which ports does NFS use, i.e.

    >Angela, try this:
    >Well known ports http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers
    >has listed.
    >
    >nfs 2049/tcp Network File System - Sun Microsystems
    >nfs 2049/udp Network File System - Sun Microsystems

  4. Re: NFS Ports

    NFS itself listens on 2049. But there are several side band
    protocols that go with it: NLM, NSM, MOUNT, RQUOTA. These ports
    are typically floaters. Plus you will need to open the port
    that the portmapper listens on.

    One alternative, if you don't need file locking or quouta reporting
    is to use webnfs. See the "public" option in the
    Solaris mount_nfs man page.

    Another solution is to use a file server that binds
    NLM, NSM, MOUNT, and RQUOTA to fixed ports. The Solaris NFS
    server bind NLM to a fixed port, but not the rest. The NetApp
    filer (in the latest patch level of ONTAP 6.4) will bind all
    the side band services to fixed ports. Use rpcinfo -p on your client
    to the filer to figure out what the ports are.

    Faeandar wrote in message news:<78cpvvo0d6cnun3080mthctga2p29f1prq@4ax.com>...
    > But nfs uses RPC as well so I think you need to open those at 30k and
    > up.
    >
    > ~F
    >
    > On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 15:34:36 GMT, "Mathias Heinel"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >> Which ports does NFS use, i.e.

    > >Angela, try this:
    > >Well known ports http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers
    > >has listed.
    > >
    > >nfs 2049/tcp Network File System - Sun Microsystems
    > >nfs 2049/udp Network File System - Sun Microsystems

+ Reply to Thread