NFS dispair - NFS

This is a discussion on NFS dispair - NFS ; Hi there I am at a loss - though the solution, I am sure, is painfully simple I am trying to mount my documents folder (situated at a nfs server) unto mycomputer. It does so without fault. But I am ...

  1. NFS dispair

    Hi there

    I am at a loss - though the solution, I am sure, is painfully simple

    I am trying to mount my documents folder (situated at a nfs server) unto
    mycomputer. It does so without fault. But I am unable to make it writable
    (that is unable to edit the documents within the folder or create new
    ones).

    My NFS-server is a Debian woody and the exports says:

    /mnt/dokumenter 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0(rw)

    My local machine is a MDK 9.2 with a fstab saying:

    486DX2:/mnt/dokumenter /home/jacob/Dokumenter nfs rw,hard,intr 0 0

    What to do?

    Regards

    Jacob

  2. Re: NFS dispair

    Jacob Klitmøller wrote:

    (snip)

    > I am trying to mount my documents folder (situated at a nfs server) unto
    > mycomputer. It does so without fault. But I am unable to make it writable
    > (that is unable to edit the documents within the folder or create new
    > ones).

    (snip)

    > 486DX2:/mnt/dokumenter /home/jacob/Dokumenter nfs rw,hard,intr 0 0

    What UID are you using, and what UID are the directory and file.

    NFS works with UID, not with user name. Easiest is to be sure that
    the password file on all systems specifies the same UID for each user.

    (or use NIS)

    -- glen

  3. Re: NFS dispair

    Den Mon, 22 Dec 2003 10:54:38 +0000. skrev glen herrmannsfeldt:

    > Jacob Klitmøller wrote:
    >
    > (snip)
    >
    >> I am trying to mount my documents folder (situated at a nfs server) unto
    >> mycomputer. It does so without fault. But I am unable to make it writable
    >> (that is unable to edit the documents within the folder or create new
    >> ones).

    > (snip)
    >
    >> 486DX2:/mnt/dokumenter /home/jacob/Dokumenter nfs rw,hard,intr 0 0

    > What UID are you using, and what UID are the directory and file.
    >
    > NFS works with UID, not with user name. Easiest is to be sure that
    > the password file on all systems specifies the same UID for each user.
    >
    > (or use NIS)
    >
    > -- glen

    Back from extended hollydays!!

    Thanks for replying. I did some seaching, and you are quite right, the
    problem is uid differences between the server (Debian Woody) and the
    vlient (Mandrake 9.2). I tried to find additional information but stranded
    whn trying to locate rpc.ugidd - which as far as I can see is what I need
    (I would like not to have to manually synchrenize the accounts on my
    machines).

    The problem then, is - where do I get the program for (either source or
    rpm for Mandrake)? And info other than the factthat I need it?

    Regards

    Jacob Klitmøller

  4. Re: NFS dispair

    Jacob Klitmøller wrote:

    (snip)

    >>NFS works with UID, not with user name. Easiest is to be sure that
    >>the password file on all systems specifies the same UID for each user.

    (snip)

    > Thanks for replying. I did some seaching, and you are quite right, the
    > problem is uid differences between the server (Debian Woody) and the
    > vlient (Mandrake 9.2). I tried to find additional information but stranded
    > whn trying to locate rpc.ugidd - which as far as I can see is what I need
    > (I would like not to have to manually synchrenize the accounts on my
    > machines).

    With find and chown it isn't that hard to do, if you don't have too
    many users on the system. If you do it once, and then try to keep
    them synched after that, it usually works fine.

    -- glen

+ Reply to Thread