Synchronized copy / data integrity - NFS

This is a discussion on Synchronized copy / data integrity - NFS ; My problem is the following: I want to do a copy of a file from a local hard disk to a directory accessed by NFS, and I want to know if the file couldn't be completely copied (e.g. if the ...

  1. Synchronized copy / data integrity

    My problem is the following: I want to do a copy of a file from a local
    hard disk to a directory accessed by NFS, and I want to know if the file
    couldn't be completely copied (e.g. if the server has crashed or if the
    remote disk is full -- in particular when the remote disk is full). How
    can I do that?

    Note: the NFS server is an old version under Solaris, and I'm not the
    administrator, so there must be nothing to do on this side.

    TIA for any information,

    --
    Vincent Lefèvre - Web: - 100%
    validated (X)HTML - Acorn Risc PC, Yellow Pig 17, Championnat International

  2. Re: Synchronized copy / data integrity

    I may be missing some nuance here but why wouldn't you just put the
    copy command in a script and check the exit status. If it's 0 quit,
    it's non-0 e-mail you?
    It won't say specifically that the destination is full but it will
    notify you if the copy/move fails for *any* reason.

    ~F

    On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 07:24:09 +0000 (UTC), Vincent Lefevre
    wrote:

    >My problem is the following: I want to do a copy of a file from a local
    >hard disk to a directory accessed by NFS, and I want to know if the file
    >couldn't be completely copied (e.g. if the server has crashed or if the
    >remote disk is full -- in particular when the remote disk is full). How
    >can I do that?
    >
    >Note: the NFS server is an old version under Solaris, and I'm not the
    >administrator, so there must be nothing to do on this side.
    >
    >TIA for any information,

  3. Re: Synchronized copy / data integrity

    In article ,
    Faeandar wrote:

    > I may be missing some nuance here but why wouldn't you just put the
    > copy command in a script and check the exit status. If it's 0 quit,
    > it's non-0 e-mail you?
    > It won't say specifically that the destination is full but it will
    > notify you if the copy/move fails for *any* reason.

    No, I currently check the exit status, but sometimes it is 0 though
    the copy has failed.

    --
    Vincent Lefèvre - Web: - 100%
    validated (X)HTML - Acorn Risc PC, Yellow Pig 17, Championnat International
    des Jeux Mathématiques et Logiques, TETRHEX, etc.

  4. Re: Synchronized copy / data integrity

    Vincent,

    What OS is the client running? You mentioned the server is an old
    version of Solaris, which one? There are settings on the client that
    could be used to help in some cases. These settings could slow your
    performance down some but not drastically. If that is not a problem
    please post the versions involved.

    Patch

    Vincent Lefevre wrote in message news:<20031025121436$11a6@vinc17.org>...
    > In article ,
    > Faeandar wrote:
    >
    > > I may be missing some nuance here but why wouldn't you just put the
    > > copy command in a script and check the exit status. If it's 0 quit,
    > > it's non-0 e-mail you?
    > > It won't say specifically that the destination is full but it will
    > > notify you if the copy/move fails for *any* reason.

    > No, I currently check the exit status, but sometimes it is 0 though
    > the copy has failed.

  5. Re: Synchronized copy / data integrity

    In article ,
    Patch wrote:

    > What OS is the client running?

    Linux. I don't know which distribution (the kernel is a 2.4.17).

    > You mentioned the server is an old version of Solaris, which one?

    I don't know. But I know that it is old enough so that NFS
    authentification is not supported (since this question was
    asked a few months ago...).

    > There are settings on the client that could be used to help in some
    > cases. These settings could slow your performance down some but not
    > drastically. If that is not a problem please post the versions
    > involved.

    I would be interested in these settings.

    Thanks,