RPC errors after NFS server restart - Why ? - NFS

This is a discussion on RPC errors after NFS server restart - Why ? - NFS ; Hi folks, We are running a Linux NFS server (Redhat 7.2). Nfsutils version is : 1.0.5-1 Most of our clients are Solaris 8 SUN boxes. If I stop NFS services on the Linux server (rpc.mountd nfsd rpc.quotad rpc.statd lockd) and ...

  1. RPC errors after NFS server restart - Why ?

    Hi folks,
    We are running a Linux NFS server (Redhat 7.2).
    Nfsutils version is : 1.0.5-1

    Most of our clients are Solaris 8 SUN boxes.

    If I stop NFS services on the Linux server (rpc.mountd nfsd rpc.quotad
    rpc.statd lockd) and then restart them soon after we are seeing a
    problem
    with the filemgr application (the OpenWindows file manager).
    When you start the app it takes a long time to start. I then scroll
    down the files in my home area (automounted) and it starts to hang.
    In the console window where I started the app I see RPC timeout
    errors.
    Eventually the filemgr comes back to life with my home area files
    visible
    but then if I scroll down again I see the same problem.

    Would be most grateful for any help with this

    Many thanks
    Paul Porcelli

  2. Re: RPC errors after NFS server restart - Why ?

    Paul.Porcelli@nsc.com (Paul Porcelli) wrote in message news:<99d5044b.0310140149.327e8f1b@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi folks,
    > We are running a Linux NFS server (Redhat 7.2).
    > Nfsutils version is : 1.0.5-1
    >
    > Most of our clients are Solaris 8 SUN boxes.
    >
    > If I stop NFS services on the Linux server (rpc.mountd nfsd rpc.quotad
    > rpc.statd lockd) and then restart them soon after we are seeing a
    > problem
    > with the filemgr application (the OpenWindows file manager).
    > When you start the app it takes a long time to start. I then scroll
    > down the files in my home area (automounted) and it starts to hang.
    > In the console window where I started the app I see RPC timeout
    > errors.
    > Eventually the filemgr comes back to life with my home area files
    > visible
    > but then if I scroll down again I see the same problem.
    >
    > Would be most grateful for any help with this
    >
    > Many thanks
    > Paul Porcelli

    Hi Paul, are you seeing stale nfs handles on your unix clients after
    you stop and restart nfs services on the linux server? could be that
    someone had a filesystem from your nfs server mounted and had files
    open. This would cause the nfs client to think it still had the nfs
    filesystem mounted even though it would not be accessable (or even
    really nfs mounted at this time).. This would cause a stale nfs
    handle on the client machine and could cause rpc timeouts until the
    automount point times out.

    I don't know your system layouts so it's really hard to troubleshoot
    without knowing if your home area files are on the nfs server or nfs
    mounted from elsewhere. Also, where are you seeing problems from the
    filemgr app? on the linux system or on one of the unix clients? is
    the filemgr app possibly nfs mounted from elsewhere or are you using
    it locally?

    I'm just trying to better understand the problem.

    Sharona

+ Reply to Thread