user-based NFS mounts - NFS

This is a discussion on user-based NFS mounts - NFS ; NFS Newbie alert!! This is for a home-based network. I want to mount an nfs partition based on who is logged on. In other words, I want to restrict who can mount a partition. I have two sets of users: ...

  1. user-based NFS mounts

    NFS Newbie alert!!

    This is for a home-based network.

    I want to mount an nfs partition based on who is logged on. In other
    words, I want to restrict who can mount a partition.

    I have two sets of users: kids and parents. I have movies that only the
    parents can watch.

    The movies are accessed via a browser on an nfs-mounted partition. Anyone
    can watch a "kid" movie; these are mounted at boot time. There is a
    default index.html in the "parent" movie directories that simply puts up a
    message that you have to be logged in as a parent.

    If a parent logs in, the "parent" movies are mounted via NFS, the default
    index.html is no longer visible and the index.html on the mounted
    partition shows the movies that are available.

    I want all this to happen automatically. So, how do I mount an nfs
    partition based on user? I know that I can put it in ~/.bashrc or
    something, but I want to restrict *who* can mount that partition.

    The little bit of reading I've done seems to indicate that I can allow any
    user to mount a partition by specifying "user" but I can't say
    "group=parents" or "users=a,b,c" or something like that. I don't want any
    user to mount a partition, I want only users x and y, or who belong to
    group z, to mount that partition.

    -Dondo

  2. Re: user-based NFS mounts

    "Captain Dondo" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    newsan.2003.10.07.13.39.16.948282@thebigsandbox.com...
    > NFS Newbie alert!!
    >
    > This is for a home-based network.
    >
    > I want to mount an nfs partition based on who is logged on. In other
    > words, I want to restrict who can mount a partition.
    >
    > I have two sets of users: kids and parents. I have movies that only

    the
    > parents can watch.

    > The little bit of reading I've done seems to indicate that I can allow

    any
    > user to mount a partition by specifying "user" but I can't say
    > "group=parents" or "users=a,b,c" or something like that.

    Thats right. I think You should work with the rights of user and group
    of the movies.

    Cause NFS work only with the UIDs(by number, not by name) and GIDs(by
    number, not by name). Maybe your NFS can work with mapping-files, like
    user big_old, group users is user ok on the mount share, user young,
    group users is user notok on the mountshare.
    The files:

    -rw- --- --- big_old users parentmovie
    -rw- rw- --- big_old users kiddie_movie

    Something like that.

    or (without)

    -rw- --- --- big_old parents parentmovie
    -rw- rw- --- kiddie users kiddie_movie

    +

    big_old is member of groups users and parents
    kiddie is member of groups users and kiddie

    Rainer

    PS: You should have an netwide users. Maybe with YP/NIS services or the
    same /etc/passwd on all computers.

    PS: Sorry for the slapstick english. Itīs the best I can speak.

  3. Re: user-based NFS mounts

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 10:07:06 +0200, Rainer Kulhanek wrote:

    > PS: You should have an netwide users. Maybe with YP/NIS services or the
    > same /etc/passwd on all computers.

    Yes, I was afraid of that. I should do it, but I've never done it so that
    might be a long-term project.

    > PS: Sorry for the slapstick english. Itīs the best I can speak.

    Never apologize for speaking poorly in a non-native tongue. :-) I won't
    even try to write in Czech and hesitate to speak in French for fear of
    embarassing myself, so your english is better than my foreign language
    efforts. :-)

    -Dondo

  4. Re: user-based NFS mounts

    In article ,
    Captain Dondo wrote:
    > NFS Newbie alert!!
    >
    > This is for a home-based network.
    >
    > I want to mount an nfs partition based on who is logged on. In other
    > words, I want to restrict who can mount a partition.

    [snippety]

    You might want to look into something like amd or automountd. You'll
    most probably then want something like NIS or some other uid-sync
    mechanism, as ObOtherPoster already noted.