CIFS client over UDP - NFS

This is a discussion on CIFS client over UDP - NFS ; Hallo, Hallo alltogether, i have to implement a CIFS client on a 68000 HW with a very proprieterian OS. Ther sever is a Win 2000 host. The only possibility to participate on a LAN is to use a basic UDP ...

  1. CIFS client over UDP

    Hallo,

    Hallo alltogether,

    i have to implement a CIFS client on a 68000 HW with a very proprieterian OS.
    Ther sever is a Win 2000 host. The only possibility to participate on a LAN is
    to use a basic UDP socket (only able to send and receive a single UDP datagram
    with 14xx Bytes)

    The question for me is: Can I participate as a NFS client with that kind of UDP
    communication.

    Are there public specifications of the NFS protocol.

    All hints, experiences, help, .... is very welcome

    Alexander

  2. Re: CIFS client over UDP

    "Alexander Eisenhuth" wrote in message
    > Hallo,
    >
    > Hallo alltogether,
    >
    > i have to implement a CIFS client on a 68000 HW with a very proprieterian

    OS.
    > Ther sever is a Win 2000 host. The only possibility to participate on a

    LAN is
    > to use a basic UDP socket (only able to send and receive a single UDP

    datagram
    > with 14xx Bytes)
    >
    > The question for me is: Can I participate as a NFS client with that kind

    of UDP
    > communication.

    Yes. Some NFS clients for MS-DOS did it exacly this.

    > Are there public specifications of the NFS protocol.
    >
    > All hints, experiences, help, .... is very welcome

    I would search in the Linux and maybe embedded spheres to find
    something like this. Maybe some old MS-DOS source us available
    somewhere as well. Time to fire up your browser and do some
    searching :-)

    Roald

  3. Re: CIFS client over UDP

    Alexander Eisenhuth writes:

    >i have to implement a CIFS client on a 68000 HW with a very proprieterian OS.
    >Ther sever is a Win 2000 host. The only possibility to participate on a LAN is
    >to use a basic UDP socket (only able to send and receive a single UDP datagram
    >with 14xx Bytes)

    >The question for me is: Can I participate as a NFS client with that kind of UDP
    >communication.

    NFS? I thought you were talking about CIFS. NFS would prefer bigger UDP
    message (using multiple IP fragments of 14xx bytes each). However, a
    client can be written for that and most servers will comply. The biggest
    risk might be with READDIR and READDIRPLUS procedures, not READ or WRITE.

    >Are there public specifications of the NFS protocol.

    Well, there are the RFCs. The "most official" spec for V2/V3 is
    http://www.opengroup.org/products/pu...talog/c702.htm

    -Ric Werme
    --
    "When we allow fundamental freedoms to be sacrificed in the name of real or
    perceived emergency, we invariably regret it. -- Thurgood Marshall

    Ric Werme http://werme.8m.net/ | ric@werme....
    see also http://nhdcyf.info/ | This space for rent

+ Reply to Thread