exporting drives using nfs on a G5 mac - NFS

This is a discussion on exporting drives using nfs on a G5 mac - NFS ; I have recently acquired a G5 mac running OS 10.2.7 and wish to export files to a linux machine using nfs. However nothing that I have tried appears to work and I cann't find any help on the web. Or ...

  1. exporting drives using nfs on a G5 mac

    I have recently acquired a G5 mac running OS 10.2.7 and wish to export
    files to a linux machine using nfs. However nothing that I have tried
    appears to
    work and I cann't find any help on the web. Or rather all the
    information that is on the web does not appear to work. I can set up
    the exports using
    either Net Manger or Netinfo but when I type "showmount -e" nothing
    appears.

    Can anyone help?

    thanks,
    Neil

  2. Re: exporting drives using nfs on a G5 mac

    Neil,

    I dug this up in my Email. I do not have a system to try it on right
    now but I hope it helps.
    exporting nfs volumes

    I tried to do this from the command line for a little while, with my
    knowledge of linux & solaris exports, but gave up.
    Go into the NetInfo Manager tool, click on the exports dir.
    Create a new directory.
    Make the following properties (shift-cmd-N), to export with full
    permissions to your LAN:
    name value
    name directory to export (eg: /Users/peter)
    clients client ips (leave blank if you want to limit to
    your LAN)
    opts maproot=root
    network=192.168.0.0 (or whatever your LAN address is.)
    mask=255.255.255.0

    (Use cmd-opt-N to enter multiple values for "opts".)
    Save, reboot. (or kill and restart nfsd.)
    You should be able to mount the directory from other machines on your
    network.
    You may want to change the options above- man exports from the
    command-line to learn more. (You may need "/usr/share/man" in your
    MANPATH.)
    Alternately:
    Install NFSManager (see links below).
    Unlock the settings as root (lower left lock icon).
    (You need to activate the root user as described above.)
    Go into the Exports tab, and Add... an export.
    Configure as desired. (Export to your Subnet or individual Clients to
    be safe.)
    Save
    Activate Exports in the NFS Menu
    You should be able to mount the drives on other machines.

    **************************************

    site for NFSManager

    http://www.bresink.com/osx/NFSManager.html

    Good luck,
    Patch

    ngb@orc.soton.ac.uk (Neil Broderick) wrote in message news:...
    > I have recently acquired a G5 mac running OS 10.2.7 and wish to export
    > files to a linux machine using nfs. However nothing that I have tried
    > appears to
    > work and I cann't find any help on the web. Or rather all the
    > information that is on the web does not appear to work. I can set up
    > the exports using
    > either Net Manger or Netinfo but when I type "showmount -e" nothing
    > appears.
    >
    > Can anyone help?
    >
    > thanks,
    > Neil

  3. Re: exporting drives using nfs on a G5 mac

    ngb@orc.soton.ac.uk (Neil Broderick) wrote in
    news:fc0ea626.0309240704.14b754e1@posting.google.c om:

    > I have recently acquired a G5 mac running OS 10.2.7 and wish to export
    > files to a linux machine using nfs. However nothing that I have tried
    > appears to
    > work and I cann't find any help on the web. Or rather all the
    > information that is on the web does not appear to work. I can set up
    > the exports using
    > either Net Manger or Netinfo but when I type "showmount -e" nothing
    > appears.
    >
    > Can anyone help?
    >
    > thanks,
    > Neil

    rpcinfo -p G5_hostname_or_IP from the linux box gives you?

    -mike

+ Reply to Thread