Large file causes NFS Input/Output error - NFS

This is a discussion on Large file causes NFS Input/Output error - NFS ; Hi, Recently I have been working on setting up an NFS database server for some bioinformatics work, and one of the databases is very large (8.4GB). So far the only problem that I've had with this databse is when running ...

  1. Large file causes NFS Input/Output error

    Hi,
    Recently I have been working on setting up an NFS database server for
    some bioinformatics work, and one of the databases is very large
    (8.4GB). So far the only problem that I've had with this databse is
    when running "ls -l". The database generates an Input/Output error
    over NFS, but running "ls -l" locally works fine. I've tried changing
    the rsize and wsize for the mounted directory, but nothing seems to
    work. Normally I wouldn't care about such a small issue, but I like to
    monitor download progress over NFS using "watch ls -l", and the error
    causes problems with "watch". I'm also afraid that this might be a
    sign of a bigger underlying problem that will pop up when we go to
    scale up our operation. Any help/suggestions would be greatly
    appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Josh

    P.S. If anyone is interested in recreating this bug the database is
    nt, available by anonymous ftp from:
    ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/blast/db/FASTA/nt
    and I am running Debian Linux (Kernel 2.4.21) on an UltraSPARC 60. The
    NFS options I'm using are:
    rsize=8192,wsize=8192,rw,soft,bg

  2. Re: Large file causes NFS Input/Output error

    On 07.08.2003 16:06, Joshua wrote :
    > Hi,
    > Recently I have been working on setting up an NFS database server for
    > some bioinformatics work, and one of the databases is very large
    > (8.4GB). So far the only problem that I've had with this databse is
    > when running "ls -l". The database generates an Input/Output error
    > over NFS, but running "ls -l" locally works fine. I've tried changing
    > the rsize and wsize for the mounted directory, but nothing seems to
    > work. Normally I wouldn't care about such a small issue, but I like to
    > monitor download progress over NFS using "watch ls -l", and the error
    > causes problems with "watch". I'm also afraid that this might be a
    > sign of a bigger underlying problem that will pop up when we go to
    > scale up our operation. Any help/suggestions would be greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Josh
    >
    > P.S. If anyone is interested in recreating this bug the database is
    > nt, available by anonymous ftp from:
    > ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/blast/db/FASTA/nt
    > and I am running Debian Linux (Kernel 2.4.21) on an UltraSPARC 60. The
    > NFS options I'm using are:
    > rsize=8192,wsize=8192,rw,soft,bg

    If you are using NFS version 3 you can increase both rsize and wsize to 64k
    That will result in less overhead transfering large files

    Frank

+ Reply to Thread