OSF1 NFS implementation - NFS

This is a discussion on OSF1 NFS implementation - NFS ; Hi all, Anybody familiar with the NFS implementation under DEC OSF1? I have need to share data between a new server and the old DEC box. (New server still to be defined). File sizes are unknown so files >2GB are ...

  1. OSF1 NFS implementation

    Hi all,

    Anybody familiar with the NFS implementation under DEC OSF1?

    I have need to share data between a new server and the old DEC box.
    (New server still to be defined). File sizes are unknown so files >2GB
    are possible. The total filesystems size could grow to Terabytes.

    Sound it sound feasible to do this over NFS?

    Thanks

    Matt

  2. Re: OSF1 NFS implementation

    yamahasw40@latinmail.com (Schmuck) wrote in message news:<24819cc3.0307231241.1abcd762@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Anybody familiar with the NFS implementation under DEC OSF1?
    >
    > I have need to share data between a new server and the old DEC box.
    > (New server still to be defined). File sizes are unknown so files >2GB
    > are possible. The total filesystems size could grow to Terabytes.
    >
    > Sound it sound feasible to do this over NFS?

    Yes. You need to run NFs version 3 and not not NFS version 2.
    And your applications need to be capable of using large files.
    Verify that your applications can access files > 4 GB from local
    filesystems.

    > Thanks
    >
    > Matt

  3. Re: OSF1 NFS implementation

    I had a situation aruond 8-10 monthz back while mounting filesystem
    from Solaris 8 on DEC systems:

    1. The DEC server could mount exported FS from other solaris 7 systems
    but none of the Solaris 8.
    2. Solaris 7 systems could mount exported FS from that particular
    Solaris 8 system.

    All the servers were on the same subnet, no IP-firewalls, no wrapped
    applications. We got a work-around for our immediate probl, escalated
    to Sun and ruled this out as version-incompatibility. :-)

    CHeerz,
    Rama
    ===.

    mike@eisler.com (Mike Eisler) wrote in message news:...
    > yamahasw40@latinmail.com (Schmuck) wrote in message news:<24819cc3.0307231241.1abcd762@posting.google.com>...
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > Anybody familiar with the NFS implementation under DEC OSF1?
    > >
    > > I have need to share data between a new server and the old DEC box.
    > > (New server still to be defined). File sizes are unknown so files >2GB
    > > are possible. The total filesystems size could grow to Terabytes.
    > >
    > > Sound it sound feasible to do this over NFS?

    > Yes. You need to run NFs version 3 and not not NFS version 2.
    > And your applications need to be capable of using large files.
    > Verify that your applications can access files > 4 GB from local
    > filesystems.
    >

    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Matt

+ Reply to Thread