Using NFS with Windows 2000/XP. - NFS

This is a discussion on Using NFS with Windows 2000/XP. - NFS ; I would like to have a setup where Linux and Windows 2000 workstations have the same login/password and mount the same /home after authenticaton. So a person can login from any machine and have their files and custom environment. I'm ...

  1. Using NFS with Windows 2000/XP.

    I would like to have a setup where Linux and Windows 2000 workstations
    have the same login/password and mount the same /home after
    authenticaton. So a person can login from any machine and have their
    files and custom environment.

    I'm a bit new so my terminology is probably off. Googling for it has
    turned up plenty of NFS FAQs but they don't contain much of (if any)
    info about Windows. Is NFS what I am looking for? Is there a different
    name (of course) for the same technology in Windows?

    I would like to rtfm but not having much success finding it.

    Mitch

  2. Re: Using NFS with Windows 2000/XP.

    Microsoft has a product called Windows Services for UNIX that contains an
    NFS server and client (and a whole bunch of stuff besides.) You can get an
    eval version from: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sfu/ There is also a
    newsgroup (microsoft.public.servicesforunix.general) that can help you with
    this product.

    There are many other vendors whom you can find by googling "Windows NFS
    Server" or "Windows NFS Client".

    Then of course, there is the world of SMB/SAMBA.

    "Mitch" wrote in message
    news:aa974c3b.0307161959.2cbfa7a6@posting.google.c om...
    > I would like to have a setup where Linux and Windows 2000 workstations
    > have the same login/password and mount the same /home after
    > authenticaton. So a person can login from any machine and have their
    > files and custom environment.
    >
    > I'm a bit new so my terminology is probably off. Googling for it has
    > turned up plenty of NFS FAQs but they don't contain much of (if any)
    > info about Windows. Is NFS what I am looking for? Is there a different
    > name (of course) for the same technology in Windows?
    >
    > I would like to rtfm but not having much success finding it.
    >
    > Mitch

  3. Re: Using NFS with Windows 2000/XP.

    Hint from the blue :-)

    Although SFU provides NFS from a Windows box, I have
    heard of some rather extreme performance issues.

    Enjoy,
    Don Capps

    "Jijo Jose [Msft]" wrote in message
    > Microsoft has a product called Windows Services for UNIX that contains an
    > NFS server and client (and a whole bunch of stuff besides.) You can get an
    > eval version from: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sfu/ There is also a
    > newsgroup (microsoft.public.servicesforunix.general) that can help you

    with
    > this product.
    >
    > There are many other vendors whom you can find by googling "Windows NFS
    > Server" or "Windows NFS Client".
    >
    > Then of course, there is the world of SMB/SAMBA.
    >

    > "Mitch" wrote in message
    > news:aa974c3b.0307161959.2cbfa7a6@posting.google.c om...
    > > I would like to have a setup where Linux and Windows 2000 workstations
    > > have the same login/password and mount the same /home after
    > > authenticaton. So a person can login from any machine and have their
    > > files and custom environment.
    > >
    > > I'm a bit new so my terminology is probably off. Googling for it has
    > > turned up plenty of NFS FAQs but they don't contain much of (if any)
    > > info about Windows. Is NFS what I am looking for? Is there a different
    > > name (of course) for the same technology in Windows?
    > >
    > > I would like to rtfm but not having much success finding it.
    > >
    > > Mitch

  4. Re: Using NFS with Windows 2000/XP.

    This is one common problem
    using the nfsonly.exe mode from this
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;330032 can also
    help.

    If you face specific issues, please feel free to seek help on the
    servicesforunix newsgroup.

    Best regards
    jijo

    "Capps" wrote in message
    > Jijo,
    >
    > Any chance you could mention some of the NFS tweaks for
    > SFU NFS ? I had one person seeing performance that was
    > 1000 times lower that the same box running another operating
    > system, that had NFS native. He/She sure could use some
    > hints on how one might make SFU NFS run better.
    >
    > I'm one of the authors of Iozone. (http://www.iozone.org)
    > This is a filesystem benchmark. Many people use Iozone for local and
    > remote file system performance characterizations. So... many times when
    > they have low performance issues, they contact me. I would like to point
    > them at some documentation so that they could stand a chance
    > of figuring it out. Posting some info, or even just a link, would sure
    > give them a hand up.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Don Capps
    >
    > "Jijo Jose [Msft]" wrote in message
    > > Just FYI, msft has both the "desktop" SFU NFS as well as NAS offerings

    > (thru
    > > OEMs). The latter will give you better perf. Even for SFU3.0 there are a
    > > host of tweaks. Guess I'll leave it at that
    > >
    > > cheers
    > > jijo
    > >

    > > "Capps" wrote in message
    > > > Hint from the blue :-)
    > > >
    > > > Although SFU provides NFS from a Windows box, I have
    > > > heard of some rather extreme performance issues.
    > > >
    > > > Enjoy,
    > > > Don Capps
    > > >
    > > > "Jijo Jose [Msft]" wrote in message

    contains
    > > an

    > get
    > > an

    also

    you
    > > > with

    > NFS

    > workstations

    their

    > has

    any)

    > different

  5. Re: Using NFS with Windows 2000/XP.

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 21:16:15 -0700, Jijo Jose [Msft]
    wrote:

    > This is one common problem
    > using the nfsonly.exe mode from this
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;330032 can also
    > help.
    >
    > If you face specific issues, please feel free to seek help on the
    > servicesforunix newsgroup.

    What is the servicesforunix newsgroup called? I don't seem to find it on my
    favorite server.

    Thanks,

    --
    Barton Fisk, SCNA SCSA

  6. Re: Using NFS with Windows 2000/XP.

    Understood The nfsonly mode is perfectly kosher, and should help in many
    cases. Also, NAS vendors have their own sets of tweaks (related to OS, disk
    caches etc.) for OEM-only releases of the msft's NFS server.

    Thanks for your interest.

    jijo

    "Capps" wrote in message
> [...]
    > > jijo
    > >
    > > "Capps" wrote in message
    > > > Jijo,
    > > >
    > > > Any chance you could mention some of the NFS tweaks for
    > > > SFU NFS ? I had one person seeing performance that was
    > > > 1000 times lower that the same box running another operating
    > > > system, that had NFS native. He/She sure could use some
    > > > hints on how one might make SFU NFS run better.
    > > >
    > > > I'm one of the authors of Iozone. (http://www.iozone.org)
    > > > This is a filesystem benchmark. Many people use Iozone for local and
    > > > remote file system performance characterizations. So... many times

    when
    > > > they have low performance issues, they contact me. I would like to

    point
    > > > them at some documentation so that they could stand a chance
    > > > of figuring it out. Posting some info, or even just a link, would

  7. Re: Using NFS with Windows 2000/XP.

    Capps wrote:
    > Jijo,
    >
    > Thank you for your reply. I'll forward this info on when
    > people ask about NFS via SFU. I hope that there are
    > other ways to improve the performance that do not rely
    > on violating the NFS protocol specification :-)
    >
    > Notes:
    > In general, enabling write caching on an NFS V2 Server
    > implementation violates the NFS V2 protocol specification, endangers
    > the user's data integrity, and will cause any measurement performed
    > with SPEC's SFS benchmark to be invalid and these results could not
    > be published.
    > For NFS V3, one can enable the server side cache as long as the
    > cached data is committed to stable storage whenever a "COMMIT"
    > is requested by the client.

    From reading the NFS version 3 protocol specification (RFC1813), I
    interpret that any setting on the NFS server to disable synchronous
    writes is in violation of the protocol specification.

    The V3 spec supports the concept of async write but it is specified
    on the client side through the setting of the stable flag in the
    WRITE RPC operation. The values of the flag are UNSTABLE, DATA_SYNC,
    and FILE_SYNC. The use of FILE_SYNC gives the same write semantics
    as found in NFS V2.

    It is important to preserve application file access semantics on the
    NFS client. If a file is opened async (default), it should get an
    I/O error on the write or the close if there was an error writing.
    The use of the UNSTABLE flag on writes with the COMMIT RPC operation
    allows this to be done. If a file is opened sync, then the NFS client
    will still do writes with stable flag set to FILE_SYNC. Any write
    error should be immediately propagated back to the application.

    If the NFS server is doing writes asynchronously, and the client knows
    nothing about that, then how can the NFS server return success when the
    client requests a write with the stable flag set to FILE_SYNC?

    John Corbin
    EP Network Storage Performance Lab

    > Enjoy,
    > Don Capps
    >

    > "Jijo Jose [Msft]" wrote in message
    >
    >>This is one common problem
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;328695
    >>using the nfsonly.exe mode from this
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;330032 can also
    >>help.
    >>
    >>If you face specific issues, please feel free to seek help on the
    >>servicesforunix newsgroup.
    >>
    >>Best regards
    >>jijo
    >>
    >>"Capps" wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Jijo,
    >>>
    >>> Any chance you could mention some of the NFS tweaks for
    >>>SFU NFS ? I had one person seeing performance that was
    >>>1000 times lower that the same box running another operating
    >>>system, that had NFS native. He/She sure could use some
    >>>hints on how one might make SFU NFS run better.
    >>>
    >>> I'm one of the authors of Iozone. (http://www.iozone.org)
    >>>This is a filesystem benchmark. Many people use Iozone for local and
    >>>remote file system performance characterizations. So... many times when
    >>>they have low performance issues, they contact me. I would like to point
    >>>them at some documentation so that they could stand a chance
    >>>of figuring it out. Posting some info, or even just a link, would sure
    >>>give them a hand up.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>Don Capps
    >>>
    >>>"Jijo Jose [Msft]" wrote in message

    >>>(thru

    >>contains

    > can
    >
    >>>get

    >>also

    >>you

    > "Windows
    >
    >>>NFS

    >>>workstations

    >>their

    > it
    >
    >>>has

    >>any)

    >>>different

  8. Re: Using NFS with Windows 2000/XP.

    No contest to the fact that the protocol wasn't followed. But this was
    SFU2.0 and back then Linux had a default async option too. Subsequent
    releases all have sync by default. As for why its allowed at all - its just
    a hack (allowed by other NFS svrs as well...) to soup up perf at the risk of
    data corruption.

    "John Corbin" wrote in message
    newssBXa.135116$TJ.8134349@twister.austin.rr.com...

> [...]

    > will still do writes with stable flag set to FILE_SYNC. Any write
    > error should be immediately propagated back to the application.
    >
    > If the NFS server is doing writes asynchronously, and the client knows
    > nothing about that, then how can the NFS server return success when the
    > client requests a write with the stable flag set to FILE_SYNC?
    >
    > John Corbin
    > EP Network Storage Performance Lab
    >

    > > Enjoy,
    > > Don Capps
    > >

    > > "Jijo Jose [Msft]" wrote in message
    > >
    > >>This is one common problem
    > >>http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;328695
    > >>using the nfsonly.exe mode from this
    > >>http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;330032 can also
    > >>help.
    > >>
    > >>If you face specific issues, please feel free to seek help on the

+ Reply to Thread