Mount as a particular user - NFS

This is a discussion on Mount as a particular user - NFS ; Is there a way that I can specify (on the command line rather than interactively, ideally), a username and password to mount an NFS share as? I'm doing fine mounting anonymously (from a stripped down embedded system), but I would ...

  1. Mount as a particular user

    Is there a way that I can specify (on the command line rather than
    interactively, ideally), a username and password to mount an NFS share
    as? I'm doing fine mounting anonymously (from a stripped down
    embedded system), but I would like to gain the security on the server
    of not having a world writable directory.

  2. Re: Mount as a particular user

    In article <6d26b1c0.0307140833.23ee0215@posting.google.com>,
    Michael Bendzick wrote:
    >Is there a way that I can specify (on the command line rather than
    >interactively, ideally), a username and password to mount an NFS share
    >as? I'm doing fine mounting anonymously (from a stripped down
    >embedded system), but I would like to gain the security on the server
    >of not having a world writable directory.

    I'm not sure what this means. Each NFS operation includes identity (and
    optionally authentication) information in it, and the server checks each
    one of them against the file that's being operated on. No permission
    checking is done at mount time, because there's no such thing as a
    filesystem-wide access list, each file and directory has its own
    permissions.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barry.margolin@level3.com
    Level(3), Woburn, MA