Netgroups and NFS - NFS

This is a discussion on Netgroups and NFS - NFS ; Hi, I have a Solaris 8 server on a Sunfire 280R exporting to sun and linux workstations using netgroups. I added a new linux host-(Redhat & kernely 2.4.7 on a dell inspiron) to the netgroup. On the sun server I ...

  1. Netgroups and NFS

    Hi,
    I have a Solaris 8 server on a Sunfire 280R exporting to sun and linux
    workstations using netgroups. I added a new linux host-(Redhat & kernely
    2.4.7 on a dell inspiron) to the netgroup. On the sun server I than
    reran the share command. Then trying to mount the exported file-system
    on the linux client failed with a permission denied error. Changing the
    share command to list the linux hostname (i.e share -F -o
    rw=netgroup,rw=linuxhost /export/test made the system mountable on the
    linux workstation.

    Any ideas why netgroups aren't working?

    JL

  2. Re: Netgroups and NFS

    In <3EF9DF13.6000902@huxley.bme.columbia.edu> Jeremy writes:

    >Hi,
    > I have a Solaris 8 server on a Sunfire 280R exporting to sun and linux
    >workstations using netgroups. I added a new linux host-(Redhat & kernely
    >2.4.7 on a dell inspiron) to the netgroup. On the sun server I than
    >reran the share command. Then trying to mount the exported file-system
    >on the linux client failed with a permission denied error. Changing the
    >share command to list the linux hostname (i.e share -F -o
    >rw=netgroup,rw=linuxhost /export/test made the system mountable on the
    >linux workstation.
    >
    > Any ideas why netgroups aren't working?

    First guess: you rebuilt/pushed the "netgroup" map but not the
    "netgroup.byhost" (and "netgroup.byuser") maps.

    Thomas Maslen
    maslen@pobox.com

  3. Re: Netgroups and NFS

    Thomas Maslen wrote:
    > In <3EF9DF13.6000902@huxley.bme.columbia.edu> Jeremy writes:
    >

    >>Hi,
    >> I have a Solaris 8 server on a Sunfire 280R exporting to sun and linux
    >>workstations using netgroups. I added a new linux host-(Redhat & kernely
    >>2.4.7 on a dell inspiron) to the netgroup. On the sun server I than
    >>reran the share command. Then trying to mount the exported file-system
    >>on the linux client failed with a permission denied error. Changing the
    >>share command to list the linux hostname (i.e share -F -o
    >>rw=netgroup,rw=linuxhost /export/test made the system mountable on the
    >>linux workstation.
    >>
    >> Any ideas why netgroups aren't working?

    > First guess: you rebuilt/pushed the "netgroup" map but not the
    > "netgroup.byhost" (and "netgroup.byuser") maps.
    >

    > Thomas Maslen
    > maslen@pobox.com

    netgroup.byhost and netgroup.byuser are being rebuilt with the new host
    in the appropriate group.

    JL

  4. Re: Netgroups and NFS

    Jeremy wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have a Solaris 8 server on a Sunfire 280R exporting to sun and linux
    > workstations using netgroups. I added a new linux host-(Redhat & kernely
    > 2.4.7 on a dell inspiron) to the netgroup. On the sun server I than
    > reran the share command. Then trying to mount the exported file-system
    > on the linux client failed with a permission denied error. Changing the
    > share command to list the linux hostname (i.e share -F -o
    > rw=netgroup,rw=linuxhost /export/test made the system mountable on the
    > linux workstation.
    >
    > Any ideas why netgroups aren't working?
    >

    > JL

    I don't have the exact hardware, but this is working at my site.

    Gary

+ Reply to Thread