unable to export nfs shares - NFS

This is a discussion on unable to export nfs shares - NFS ; hello I can't export my nfs shares since my reboot two days ago. my server : stephane@lug:/etc$ uname -a Linux lug 2.6.24-21-server #1 SMP Mon Aug 25 18:06:43 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux nfs doesn't export anything but seems to work ...

  1. unable to export nfs shares

    hello

    I can't export my nfs shares since my reboot two days ago.

    my server :

    stephane@lug:/etc$ uname -a
    Linux lug 2.6.24-21-server #1 SMP Mon Aug 25 18:06:43 UTC 2008 i686
    GNU/Linux

    nfs doesn't export anything but seems to work properly :

    stephane@lug:~$ sudo sh /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server status
    [sudo] password for stephane:
    nfsd running
    stephane@lug:~$ sudo sh /etc/init.d/nfs-common status
    all daemons running
    stephane@lug:~$ sudo exportfs -r
    stephane@lug:~$

    my /etc/exports :

    # /etc/exports: the access control list for filesystems which may be
    exported
    # to NFS clients. See exports(5).
    #
    # Example for NFSv2 and NFSv3:
    # /srv/homes hostname1(rw,sync) hostname2(ro,sync)
    #
    # Example for NFSv4:
    # /srv/nfs4 gss/krb5i(rw,sync,fsid=0,crossmnt)
    # /srv/nfs4/homes gss/krb5i(rw,sync)
    #

    /home/public 192.168.0.6(rw,sync,no_subtree_check)
    /home/ftp 192.168.0.6(rw,sync,no_subtree_check)
    /home/www 192.168.0.6(rw,sync,no_subtree_check)

    of course, I had not change anything... (the logiciels and their settings
    are the sames...)
    the only difference is that the reboot has launched a different kernel
    release, but the operating system seems to be clear, without dependencies
    rupture...

    thanks for your help if you can !
    --
    Utilisant le client e-mail révolutionnaire d'Opera :
    http://www.opera.com/mail/

  2. Re: unable to export nfs shares

    stephaneguedon wrote:
    > I can't export my nfs shares since my reboot two days ago.

    > stephane@lug:/etc$ uname -a
    > Linux lug 2.6.24-21-server #1 SMP Mon Aug 25 18:06:43 UTC 2008 i686
    > GNU/Linux
    >
    > nfs doesn't export anything but seems to work properly :

    Does your portmap run?

    --

    //Aho

  3. Re: unable to export nfs shares

    Le Fri, 24 Oct 2008 17:00:21 +0200, J.O. Aho a écrit:

    > stephaneguedon wrote:
    >> I can't export my nfs shares since my reboot two days ago.

    >> stephane@lug:/etc$ uname -a
    >> Linux lug 2.6.24-21-server #1 SMP Mon Aug 25 18:06:43 UTC 2008 i686
    >> GNU/Linux
    >>
    >> nfs doesn't export anything but seems to work properly :

    > Does your portmap run?

    Yes, it runs ! I have restarted it, and the nfs server
    (nfs-kernel-server), and nothing appear in nfs...

    --
    Utilisant le client e-mail révolutionnaire d'Opera :
    http://www.opera.com/mail/

  4. Re: unable to export nfs shares

    stephaneguedon wrote:
    > Le Fri, 24 Oct 2008 17:00:21 +0200, J.O. Aho a crit:
    >
    >> stephaneguedon wrote:
    >>> I can't export my nfs shares since my reboot two days ago.

    >>> stephane@lug:/etc$ uname -a
    >>> Linux lug 2.6.24-21-server #1 SMP Mon Aug 25 18:06:43 UTC 2008 i686
    >>> GNU/Linux
    >>>
    >>> nfs doesn't export anything but seems to work properly :

    >> Does your portmap run?
    >>

    > Yes, it runs ! I have restarted it, and the nfs server
    > (nfs-kernel-server), and nothing appear in nfs...

    What about /etc/host.allow /etc/host.deny ? any changes on those?

    If it had been nfs4 shares, I would have looked at those rpc services, think
    nfs3 uses rpc.statd and rpc.mountd, can be good to see if they are running, in
    worst case kill those and start the manually to see if they generate some erro
    message.

    --

    //Aho

  5. Re: unable to export nfs shares

    Le Fri, 24 Oct 2008 21:34:42 +0200, J.O. Aho a écrit:

    > What about /etc/host.allow /etc/host.deny ? any changes on those?
    >
    > If it had been nfs4 shares, I would have looked at those rpc services,
    > think
    > nfs3 uses rpc.statd and rpc.mountd, can be good to see if they are
    > running, in
    > worst case kill those and start the manually to see if they generate
    > some erro
    > message.

    Nothing has changed for them ! I will try to start manually this.

    --
    Utilisant le client e-mail révolutionnaire d'Opera :
    http://www.opera.com/mail/

  6. Re: unable to export nfs shares

    Le Sat, 25 Oct 2008 10:27:14 +0200, stephaneguedon
    a écrit:

    > Le Fri, 24 Oct 2008 21:34:42 +0200, J.O. Aho a écrit:
    >

    >> What about /etc/host.allow /etc/host.deny ? any changes on those?
    >>
    >> If it had been nfs4 shares, I would have looked at those rpc services,
    >> think
    >> nfs3 uses rpc.statd and rpc.mountd, can be good to see if they are
    >> running, in
    >> worst case kill those and start the manually to see if they generate
    >> some erro
    >> message.
    >>

    > Nothing has changed for them ! I will try to start manually this.

    When I try to run rpc.mountd, I get this :

    stephane@lug:/etc$ sudo rpc.mountd
    Cannot register service: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection refused
    stephane@lug:/etc$

    --
    Utilisant le client e-mail révolutionnaire d'Opera :
    http://www.opera.com/mail/

  7. Re: unable to export nfs shares

    stephaneguedon wrote:
    > Le Sat, 25 Oct 2008 10:27:14 +0200, stephaneguedon
    > a crit:
    >
    >> Le Fri, 24 Oct 2008 21:34:42 +0200, J.O. Aho a crit:
    >>

    >>> What about /etc/host.allow /etc/host.deny ? any changes on those?
    >>>
    >>> If it had been nfs4 shares, I would have looked at those rpc
    >>> services, think
    >>> nfs3 uses rpc.statd and rpc.mountd, can be good to see if they are
    >>> running, in
    >>> worst case kill those and start the manually to see if they generate
    >>> some erro
    >>> message.
    >>>

    >> Nothing has changed for them ! I will try to start manually this.
    >>

    > When I try to run rpc.mountd, I get this :
    >
    > stephane@lug:/etc$ sudo rpc.mountd
    > Cannot register service: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection refused
    > stephane@lug:/etc$

    The little I know about this problem, this message appears if portmap isn't
    working and you are trying to start the other services.
    I would suggst you uninstall your portmap and then reinstall it freshly from
    the repository, and see if that solves the problem (not sure how to use deb to
    check if a file in a packages has been changed, thats why I suggest ther
    reinstall).

    --

    //Aho

  8. Re: unable to export nfs shares

    Le Sat, 25 Oct 2008 12:41:48 +0200, J.O. Aho a écrit:

    > stephaneguedon wrote:
    >> Le Sat, 25 Oct 2008 10:27:14 +0200, stephaneguedon
    >> a écrit:

    >>> Nothing has changed for them ! I will try to start manually this.
    >>>

    >> When I try to run rpc.mountd, I get this :
    >>
    >> stephane@lug:/etc$ sudo rpc.mountd
    >> Cannot register service: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection
    >> refused
    >> stephane@lug:/etc$
    >>

    > The little I know about this problem, this message appears if portmap
    > isn't
    > working and you are trying to start the other services.
    > I would suggst you uninstall your portmap and then reinstall it freshly
    > from
    > the repository, and see if that solves the problem (not sure how to use
    > deb to
    > check if a file in a packages has been changed, thats why I suggest ther
    > reinstall).

    I have done a reinstall (apt-get remove --purge and apt-get install...)
    and /etc/exports where recreated !
    But nothing works !

    This is bad for nfs which I like, it is so efficient comparely to samba !
    Should I make a bug report ?

    How could I increase looging to debug the server ?

    thanks !

    --
    Utilisant le client e-mail révolutionnaire d'Opera :
    http://www.opera.com/mail/

  9. Re: unable to export nfs shares

    stephaneguedon wrote:

    > I have done a reinstall (apt-get remove --purge and apt-get install...)
    > and /etc/exports where recreated !
    > But nothing works !
    >
    > This is bad for nfs which I like, it is so efficient comparely to samba !
    > Should I make a bug report ?

    If it's something that has happen without you updating something, then it's
    something that has got corrupt on your system, or enabled iptables rules that
    blocks everything regarding nfs.

    If you have upgraded before the reboot, then it could be some bug in nfs-utils
    or the nfs server module is broken (should be visible with dmesg).

    > How could I increase looging to debug the server ?

    To increase loggins, see the man page for dmesg,

    dmesg -n 9

    or was it the other way around, not sure, always forget that.

    --

    //Aho

  10. Re: unable to export nfs shares

    Le Sat, 25 Oct 2008 20:50:18 +0200, J.O. Aho a écrit:

    > stephaneguedon wrote:
    >
    >> I have done a reinstall (apt-get remove --purge and apt-get install...)
    >> and /etc/exports where recreated !
    >> But nothing works !
    >>
    >> This is bad for nfs which I like, it is so efficient comparely to samba
    >> !
    >> Should I make a bug report ?

    > If it's something that has happen without you updating something, then
    > it's
    > something that has got corrupt on your system, or enabled iptables rules
    > that
    > blocks everything regarding nfs.
    >
    > If you have upgraded before the reboot, then it could be some bug in
    > nfs-utils
    > or the nfs server module is broken (should be visible with dmesg).

    stephane@lug:~$ dmesg|tail
    [304963.902801] nfsd: last server has exited
    [304963.902813] nfsd: unexporting all filesystems
    [304965.669396] NFSD: Using /var/lib/nfs/v4recovery as the NFSv4 state
    recovery directory
    [304965.677081] NFSD: starting 90-second grace period

    >> How could I increase looging to debug the server ?

    > To increase loggins, see the man page for dmesg,
    >
    > dmesg -n 9
    >
    > or was it the other way around, not sure, always forget that.

    I am not able to increase logging :

    stephane@lug:~$ sudo dmesg -n 9
    klogctl: Argument invalide
    stephane@lug:~$

    there is ufw, which is a firewall from ubuntu, but he was there days ago
    without problems, and local network has all permissions to connect to the
    server !
    moreover, the problem isn't (yet) to connect to the server, but to open
    and export shares !

    --
    Utilisant le client e-mail révolutionnaire d'Opera :
    http://www.opera.com/mail/

  11. Re: unable to export nfs shares

    Le Sun, 26 Oct 2008 10:19:06 +0100, stephaneguedon
    a écrit:

    > Le Sat, 25 Oct 2008 20:50:18 +0200, J.O. Aho a écrit:
    >
    >> stephaneguedon wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have done a reinstall (apt-get remove --purge and apt-get install...)
    >>> and /etc/exports where recreated !
    >>> But nothing works !
    >>>
    >>> This is bad for nfs which I like, it is so efficient comparely to
    >>> samba !
    >>> Should I make a bug report ?

    >> If it's something that has happen without you updating something, then
    >> it's
    >> something that has got corrupt on your system, or enabled iptables
    >> rules that
    >> blocks everything regarding nfs.
    >>
    >> If you have upgraded before the reboot, then it could be some bug in
    >> nfs-utils
    >> or the nfs server module is broken (should be visible with dmesg).
    >>

    > stephane@lug:~$ dmesg|tail
    > [304963.902801] nfsd: last server has exited
    > [304963.902813] nfsd: unexporting all filesystems
    > [304965.669396] NFSD: Using /var/lib/nfs/v4recovery as the NFSv4 state
    > recovery directory
    > [304965.677081] NFSD: starting 90-second grace period
    >

    >>> How could I increase looging to debug the server ?

    >> To increase loggins, see the man page for dmesg,
    >>
    >> dmesg -n 9
    >>
    >> or was it the other way around, not sure, always forget that.
    >>

    > I am not able to increase logging :
    >
    > stephane@lug:~$ sudo dmesg -n 9
    > klogctl: Argument invalide
    > stephane@lug:~$
    >
    > there is ufw, which is a firewall from ubuntu, but he was there days ago
    > without problems, and local network has all permissions to connect to
    > the server !
    > moreover, the problem isn't (yet) to connect to the server, but to open
    > and export shares !

    I don't know why, but, at present, it works ! nfs had been exported
    (server), and mounted on local computer (client)

    --
    Utilisant le client e-mail révolutionnaire d'Opera :
    http://www.opera.com/mail/

+ Reply to Thread