0-length files in NFS V3, FC6, FC7 - NFS

This is a discussion on 0-length files in NFS V3, FC6, FC7 - NFS ; This was not a problem in Fedora Core 4, and became a problem in FC5, FC6, and FC7. Could not get NFS V4 to work under FC6 after a day of fighting it, so we use NFS V3, as we ...

  1. 0-length files in NFS V3, FC6, FC7

    This was not a problem in Fedora Core 4,
    and became a problem in FC5, FC6, and FC7.

    Could not get NFS V4 to work under FC6 after a day of fighting it,
    so we use NFS V3, as we have been since before Fedora.
    nfs-utils-lib-1.0.8-7.2
    nfs-utils-1.0.10-14.fc6

    and the Linux NFS server is
    2.6.22.9-61.fc6

    with /etc/exports:
    /usr2/common *.local(rw,no_root_squash)

    6 other Linux hosts mount the partition:
    nfs.local:/usr2/common /home/common nfs
    rsize=16384,wsize=16384,timeo=14,intr

    Many files are updated on the partition daily via ftp. Often, after
    being updated, the new file lives for awhile, then becomes a zero-length
    file with the previous mtime on it. This is a very serious problem for
    us because the files that are being zeroed are being shared by multiple
    hosts running multiple websites. The file type does not seem to have
    anything to do with it, as we have observed the effect on shell scripts,
    perl scripts, javascript source, and image files. Network is 100Mb
    ethernet.

    My guess is that when V4 support was added to NFS, V3 code was broken.

    Todd Merriman

  2. Re: 0-length files in NFS V3, FC6, FC7

    On Oct 31, 6:26 pm, Todd Merriman wrote:
    > the new file lives for awhile

    How long is "awhile"? Did they last beyond the ftp operation?

    > file with the previous mtime on it.

    What about ctime?

    You can also try using inotify on your server to monitor those files.

    Cheers,
    bc

  3. Re: 0-length files in NFS V3, FC6, FC7

    bcwalrus wrote:
    > On Oct 31, 6:26 pm, Todd Merriman wrote:
    >> the new file lives for awhile

    > How long is "awhile"? Did they last beyond the ftp operation?

    The files last long enough to be executed a couple of times (if they
    are executable) or served if they are http objects.

+ Reply to Thread