How to check file system(Data) consistency in case of NFS i/o ? - NFS

This is a discussion on How to check file system(Data) consistency in case of NFS i/o ? - NFS ; Hi, How to check file system(Data) consistency in case of NFS i/o ? thanks & regards Parinay...

  1. How to check file system(Data) consistency in case of NFS i/o ?

    Hi,

    How to check file system(Data) consistency in case of NFS i/o ?

    thanks & regards
    Parinay

  2. Re: How to check file system(Data) consistency in case of NFS i/o ?

    On Oct 29, 4:40 am, zorba wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > How to check file system(Data) consistency in case of NFS i/o ?
    >
    > thanks & regards
    > Parinay

    The question is quite unclear. Consistency is a relation between two
    things. Can you tell me what the two things in your question are? It
    could be consistency between what the server receives and what's in
    the file system, or what the server receives and what appears on disk,
    or what the client sends and that the server receives, and so on.

    Cheers,
    bc

  3. Re: How to check file system(Data) consistency in case of NFS i/o ?

    On Nov 1, 3:29 am, bcwalrus wrote:
    > On Oct 29, 4:40 am, zorba wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,

    > > How to check file system(Data) consistency in case of NFS i/o ?

    > > thanks & regards
    > > Parinay

    > The question is quite unclear. Consistency is a relation between two
    > things. Can you tell me what the two things in your question are? It
    > could be consistency between what the server receives and what's in
    > the file system, or what the server receives and what appears on disk,
    > or what the client sends and that the server receives, and so on.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > bc

    What the client sends and that the server receives ...

  4. Re: How to check file system(Data) consistency in case of NFS i/o ?

    On Oct 31, 7:35 pm, zorba wrote:
    > On Nov 1, 3:29 am, bcwalrus wrote:
    >

    > > On Oct 29, 4:40 am, zorba wrote:

    > > > Hi,

    > > > How to check file system(Data) consistency in case of NFS i/o ?

    > > > thanks & regards
    > > > Parinay

    > > The question is quite unclear. Consistency is a relation between two
    > > things. Can you tell me what the two things in your question are? It
    > > could be consistency between what the server receives and what's in
    > > the file system, or what the server receives and what appears on disk,
    > > or what the client sends and that the server receives, and so on.

    > > Cheers,
    > > bc

    > What the client sends and that the server receives ...

    The only cause of inconsistency there (that I can think of) is data
    corruption when the packets are in the network. The transport layer is
    supposed to prevent that. Are you using TCP or UDP? Both have "good
    enough" checksum for most people. If you're paranoid, you can use
    Kerberos signing with NFS.

    Cheers,
    bc

  5. Re: How to check file system(Data) consistency in case of NFS i/o ?

    On Nov 3, 4:41 am, bcwalrus wrote:
    > On Oct 31, 7:35 pm, zorba wrote:

    > > > The question is quite unclear. Consistency is a relation between two
    > > > things. Can you tell me what the two things in your question are? It
    > > > could be consistency between what the server receives and what's in
    > > > the file system, or what the server receives and what appears on disk,
    > > > or what the client sends and that the server receives, and so on.

    > > > Cheers,
    > > > bc

    > > What the client sends and that the server receives ...

    > The only cause of inconsistency there (that I can think of) is data
    > corruption when the packets are in the network. The transport layer is
    > supposed to prevent that. Are you using TCP or UDP? Both have "good
    > enough" checksum for most people. If you're paranoid, you can use
    > Kerberos signing with NFS.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > bc

    I am using TCP but no kerberos.
    Can you explain( if you have time ) the other 2-relations that you
    mentioned w.r.t. consistency (i.e.consistency between what the server
    receives and what's in the file system, or what the server receives
    and what appears on disk ) ?

  6. Re: How to check file system(Data) consistency in case of NFS i/o ?

    On Nov 3, 11:42 pm, zorba wrote:
    > I am using TCP but no kerberos.
    > Can you explain( if you have time ) the other 2-relations that you
    > mentioned w.r.t. consistency (i.e.consistency between what the server
    > receives and what's in the file system, or what the server receives
    > and what appears on disk ) ?

    The data typically travels through this path:

    user program --> client VFS/NFS --> network --> server NFS/VFS -->
    server underlying FS (ext3, reiser, xfs, etc.) --> disk

    If you're using a stable OS, the NFS/VFS layers are unlikely to
    corrupt your data. If you're using an experimental file system, or
    have a faulty disk, then you should check there first. What kind of
    data inconsistency have you observed?

    Cheers,
    bc

+ Reply to Thread