Generation number in NFS V2 - NFS

This is a discussion on Generation number in NFS V2 - NFS ; Hi, How's generation number gets created in NFS V2? I know I read somewhere that earlier NFS starts with 1 and increment but not sure that's for NFS V2 or Sun testing NFS V1 (not available to use). Is NFS ...

  1. Generation number in NFS V2

    Hi,
    How's generation number gets created in NFS V2? I know I read
    somewhere that earlier NFS starts with 1 and increment but not sure
    that's for NFS V2 or Sun testing NFS V1 (not available to use). Is NFS
    V2's generation number like NFS V3+ (ramdon number)? I tried to run
    ethereal to capture packet but unlikely NFS V3 packets, it has no info
    about filehandles (in terms fsID, inode, and generation number).

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Generation number in NFS V2

    On Oct 11, 8:31 am, pec...@syr.edu wrote:
    > Hi,
    > How's generation number gets created in NFS V2? I know I read
    > somewhere that earlier NFS starts with 1 and increment but not sure
    > that's for NFS V2 or Sun testing NFS V1 (not available to use). Is NFS
    > V2's generation number like NFS V3+ (ramdon number)? I tried to run
    > ethereal to capture packet but unlikely NFS V3 packets, it has no info
    > about filehandles (in terms fsID, inode, and generation number).
    >
    > Thanks!

    Generation number is not created by NFS at all. The generation number
    is in the filehandle, and the filehandle is created by either the VFS
    or the specific file system implementation. It is totally up to the
    underlying file system to decide what the generation number is. And in
    some cases, the file system may not use any generation number (Windows
    SFU).

    NFS filehandles are opaque. So ethereal can only do so much. They can
    parse Linux and a few other open formats. Since there's no fixed
    format, you'll eventually have to do some reverse engineering.

    Cheers,
    bc

+ Reply to Thread