Register linux host with static IP dynamically in Windows DNS - Networking

This is a discussion on Register linux host with static IP dynamically in Windows DNS - Networking ; Hi I have read many discussions about registering Linux hosts in a windows environment, so that they can be found by DNS queries. Each of them told to use a dhcp client. But I have a static IP. I know ...

  1. Register linux host with static IP dynamically in Windows DNS

    Hi

    I have read many discussions about registering Linux hosts in a
    windows environment, so that they can be found by DNS queries. Each of
    them told to use a dhcp client. But I have a static IP.

    I know it is possible: my windows machine also has static IP, is NOT
    member of the Domain and still registered itself in DNS few days ago
    when I changed its IP. Unfortunately i don't know which protocol it
    used, but there is an option in Windows' network settings for
    registering the host automatically.

    Who knows which protocol it uses for this behavior and how to do the
    same in linux?

    I tries nsupdate but only get answers like "not allowed", "not
    found", .. - but again, windows computers can do it..

    Daniel Alder

  2. Re: Register linux host with static IP dynamically in Windows DNS

    Daniel Alder writes:

    > I have read many discussions about registering Linux hosts in a
    > windows environment, so that they can be found by DNS queries. Each of
    > them told to use a dhcp client. But I have a static IP.
    >
    > I know it is possible: my windows machine also has static IP, is NOT
    > member of the Domain and still registered itself in DNS few days ago
    > when I changed its IP. Unfortunately i don't know which protocol it
    > used, but there is an option in Windows' network settings for
    > registering the host automatically.
    >
    > Who knows which protocol it uses for this behavior and how to do the
    > same in linux?
    >
    > I tries nsupdate but only get answers like "not allowed", "not
    > found", .. - but again, windows computers can do it..

    Answers from who or what? nsupdate should certainly be able to do it.

    But why do you want to? I like the fact that all my computers' IP
    addresses are maintained on a central server, and I don't need to mess
    with anything on the individual hosts to do things like shuffle IP
    addresses. You say "I have a static IP" -- well, from my perspective,
    that's the problem you actually need to be fixing.

+ Reply to Thread