Multicast problem on Fedora 9.... - Networking

This is a discussion on Multicast problem on Fedora 9.... - Networking ; All, I've got three boxes, one running Fedora 7, one Fedora 9, and one Windows XP. I have two programs, one called listener and one called sender, both from the Internet. Listener listens for multicast messages, and sender sends out ...

  1. Multicast problem on Fedora 9....

    All,

    I've got three boxes, one running Fedora 7, one Fedora 9, and one
    Windows XP. I have two programs, one called listener and one called
    sender, both from the Internet. Listener listens for multicast
    messages, and sender sends out those messages, about every second.

    I turn on multicasting in both 7 and 9 using the following command:

    route add -net 224.0.0.0 netmask 224.0.0.0 eth0

    The Windows XP box is also set up for multicasting without my doing
    anything.

    I have copies of listener and sender on all three boxes, compiled on
    each box. I also have wireshark running in promiscuous mode -- using
    'ifconfig eth0 promisc' to get there -- on the Fedora 9 box.

    Here are the results of running these programs:

    1) sender on Fedora 9, listener on Fedora 7: the listener gets the
    sender's messages;

    2) sender on Fedora 7, listener on Fedora 9: No messages make it to
    the listener; and

    3. sender on Windows XP, listeners on both Fedora 7 and Fedora 9: The
    Fedora 7 listener gets the messages, but Fedora 9 does not.

    Wireshark on Fedora 9 indicates the messages are coming from Fedora 7
    to the Fedora 9 box. I see the messages with "Source port: filenet-pa"
    and "Destination port: italk."

    What's going on in Numbers 2 and 3 above? For some reason Fedora 9
    can't hear the messages from the Fedora 7 box.

    Chris

    P.S.

    I have yet another Fedora 9 laptop that I connected to the network,
    ftp-ed the files from the first Fedora 9 laptop, set up multicast
    using the route command above, ran listener there, but didn't get the
    messages.

  2. Re: Multicast problem on Fedora 9....

    On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 10:11:16 +0000, Christian Williamson rearranged some
    electrons to say:

    > All,
    >
    > I've got three boxes, one running Fedora 7, one Fedora 9, and one
    > Windows XP. I have two programs, one called listener and one called
    > sender, both from the Internet. Listener listens for multicast messages,
    > and sender sends out those messages, about every second.
    >
    > I turn on multicasting in both 7 and 9 using the following command:
    >
    > route add -net 224.0.0.0 netmask 224.0.0.0 eth0
    >
    > The Windows XP box is also set up for multicasting without my doing
    > anything.
    >
    > I have copies of listener and sender on all three boxes, compiled on
    > each box. I also have wireshark running in promiscuous mode -- using
    > 'ifconfig eth0 promisc' to get there -- on the Fedora 9 box.
    >
    > Here are the results of running these programs:
    >
    > 1) sender on Fedora 9, listener on Fedora 7: the listener gets the
    > sender's messages;
    >
    > 2) sender on Fedora 7, listener on Fedora 9: No messages make it to the
    > listener; and
    >
    > 3. sender on Windows XP, listeners on both Fedora 7 and Fedora 9: The
    > Fedora 7 listener gets the messages, but Fedora 9 does not.
    >
    > Wireshark on Fedora 9 indicates the messages are coming from Fedora 7 to
    > the Fedora 9 box. I see the messages with "Source port: filenet-pa" and
    > "Destination port: italk."
    >
    > What's going on in Numbers 2 and 3 above? For some reason Fedora 9 can't
    > hear the messages from the Fedora 7 box.
    >
    > Chris
    >
    > P.S.
    >
    > I have yet another Fedora 9 laptop that I connected to the network,
    > ftp-ed the files from the first Fedora 9 laptop, set up multicast using
    > the route command above, ran listener there, but didn't get the
    > messages.

    Disable Network Manager in the F9 box, that might help:

    http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-services-f9.html

  3. Re: Multicast problem on Fedora 9....

    david wrote:
    > On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 10:11:16 +0000, Christian Williamson rearranged some
    > electrons to say:
    >
    >> All,
    >>
    >> I've got three boxes, one running Fedora 7, one Fedora 9, and one
    >> Windows XP. I have two programs, one called listener and one called
    >> sender, both from the Internet. Listener listens for multicast messages,
    >> and sender sends out those messages, about every second.
    >>
    >> I turn on multicasting in both 7 and 9 using the following command:
    >>
    >> route add -net 224.0.0.0 netmask 224.0.0.0 eth0
    >>
    >> The Windows XP box is also set up for multicasting without my doing
    >> anything.
    >>
    >> I have copies of listener and sender on all three boxes, compiled on
    >> each box. I also have wireshark running in promiscuous mode -- using
    >> 'ifconfig eth0 promisc' to get there -- on the Fedora 9 box.
    >>
    >> Here are the results of running these programs:
    >>
    >> 1) sender on Fedora 9, listener on Fedora 7: the listener gets the
    >> sender's messages;
    >>
    >> 2) sender on Fedora 7, listener on Fedora 9: No messages make it to the
    >> listener; and
    >>
    >> 3. sender on Windows XP, listeners on both Fedora 7 and Fedora 9: The
    >> Fedora 7 listener gets the messages, but Fedora 9 does not.
    >>
    >> Wireshark on Fedora 9 indicates the messages are coming from Fedora 7 to
    >> the Fedora 9 box. I see the messages with "Source port: filenet-pa" and
    >> "Destination port: italk."
    >>
    >> What's going on in Numbers 2 and 3 above? For some reason Fedora 9 can't
    >> hear the messages from the Fedora 7 box.
    >>
    >> Chris
    >>
    >> P.S.
    >>
    >> I have yet another Fedora 9 laptop that I connected to the network,
    >> ftp-ed the files from the first Fedora 9 laptop, set up multicast using
    >> the route command above, ran listener there, but didn't get the
    >> messages.

    > Disable Network Manager in the F9 box, that might help:
    >
    > http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-services-f9.html

    Thanks, I'll give it a shot, let you know.

  4. Re: Multicast problem on Fedora 9....

    david wrote:
    > On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 10:11:16 +0000, Christian Williamson rearranged some
    > electrons to say:
    >
    >> All,
    >>
    >> I've got three boxes, one running Fedora 7, one Fedora 9, and one
    >> Windows XP. I have two programs, one called listener and one called
    >> sender, both from the Internet. Listener listens for multicast messages,
    >> and sender sends out those messages, about every second.
    >>
    >> I turn on multicasting in both 7 and 9 using the following command:
    >>
    >> route add -net 224.0.0.0 netmask 224.0.0.0 eth0
    >>
    >> The Windows XP box is also set up for multicasting without my doing
    >> anything.
    >>
    >> I have copies of listener and sender on all three boxes, compiled on
    >> each box. I also have wireshark running in promiscuous mode -- using
    >> 'ifconfig eth0 promisc' to get there -- on the Fedora 9 box.
    >>
    >> Here are the results of running these programs:
    >>
    >> 1) sender on Fedora 9, listener on Fedora 7: the listener gets the
    >> sender's messages;
    >>
    >> 2) sender on Fedora 7, listener on Fedora 9: No messages make it to the
    >> listener; and
    >>
    >> 3. sender on Windows XP, listeners on both Fedora 7 and Fedora 9: The
    >> Fedora 7 listener gets the messages, but Fedora 9 does not.
    >>
    >> Wireshark on Fedora 9 indicates the messages are coming from Fedora 7 to
    >> the Fedora 9 box. I see the messages with "Source port: filenet-pa" and
    >> "Destination port: italk."
    >>
    >> What's going on in Numbers 2 and 3 above? For some reason Fedora 9 can't
    >> hear the messages from the Fedora 7 box.
    >>
    >> Chris
    >>
    >> P.S.
    >>
    >> I have yet another Fedora 9 laptop that I connected to the network,
    >> ftp-ed the files from the first Fedora 9 laptop, set up multicast using
    >> the route command above, ran listener there, but didn't get the
    >> messages.

    > Disable Network Manager in the F9 box, that might help:
    >
    > http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-services-f9.html

    I tried replacing NetworkManager with network, as the instructs said.
    Didn't work. Hmmm.....

+ Reply to Thread