Anonymous FTP with multiple domains, but one IP? - Networking

This is a discussion on Anonymous FTP with multiple domains, but one IP? - Networking ; Folks, We're running wu-ftpd on RHEL 4 and have a block of domains that presently each have an assigned IP address. In our /etc/ftpaccess we have "virtual" blocks set up for each of them so each can do anonymous ftp ...

  1. Anonymous FTP with multiple domains, but one IP?

    Folks,

    We're running wu-ftpd on RHEL 4 and have a block
    of domains that presently each have an assigned IP address.
    In our /etc/ftpaccess we have "virtual" blocks set up for
    each of them so each can do anonymous ftp to:

    ftp.a.com
    ftp.b.com
    ftp.c.com -- and get a private upload directory,etc...

    We'd really like to consolidate these IP addresses
    and just assign ONE IP to all the anonymous connections.
    From what I've read it looks like it's just not possible to
    do 'easily' since ftpd can't distinguish on who is connecting
    and that makes sense.

    Has anyone developed a reasonable work around, i.e.
    maybe assigning a unique port number to be used by each
    domain when it connects? Thanks for any suggestions!

    --
    John
    Customer Service Software Workshop Inc.

  2. Re: Anonymous FTP with multiple domains, but one IP?

    John Murtari wrote:
    > We're running wu-ftpd on RHEL 4 and have a block
    > of domains that presently each have an assigned IP address.

    > We'd really like to consolidate these IP addresses
    > and just assign ONE IP to all the anonymous connections.

    As you have discovered, you can't do that

    > Has anyone developed a reasonable work around, i.e.
    > maybe assigning a unique port number to be used by each
    > domain when it connects? Thanks for any suggestions!

    Many FTP clients will allow you to select a different port for the
    connection, but it's not nearly as common as running, say, HTTP on
    different ports. If you really need ftp.a.com and ftp.b.com and they are
    significantly different then there isn't really anything for it but to
    run them on different IP addresses.

    If a, b, and c are related sites/domains then you might consider different
    directories for a, b, c within some ftp.x.com. I know that vs-ftpd can
    perform per-user chroot; I don't know about wu-ftpd.

    Chris

+ Reply to Thread