Requested address - Networking

This is a discussion on Requested address - Networking ; Hi, I get the below error that is very strange -> " bind: Cannot assign requested address " While running my application, i get the below error -> bind error: [createIPv6Socket], bind() error. address = FEEE::219:d1ff:AAAA:705 bind: Cannot assign requested ...

  1. Requested address

    Hi,

    I get the below error that is very strange ->
    " bind: Cannot assign requested address "

    While running my application, i get the below error ->

    bind error:
    [createIPv6Socket], bind() error.
    address = FEEE::219:d1ff:AAAA:705
    bind: Cannot assign requested address
    bind error !

    Kindly let me know the possible area of problem .

    Thx in advans,
    Karthik Balaguru

  2. Re: Requested address

    Hello,

    karthikbalaguru a écrit :

    > While running my application, i get the below error ->
    >
    > bind error:
    > [createIPv6Socket], bind() error.
    > address = FEEE::219:d1ff:AAAA:705
    > bind: Cannot assign requested address

    It could mean that the address FEEE::219:d1ff:AAAA:705 is not assigned
    to any local interface on the host.

    What application is this ?

    Note that FEEE::219:d1ff:AAAA:705 is in the FEC0::/10 range which was
    once defined as the site-local prefix but has been deprecated and is now
    reserved. Therefore you are not supposed to use it.

  3. Re: Requested address

    On Nov 10, 4:53 pm, Pascal Hambourg
    wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > karthikbalaguru a écrit :
    >

    > > While running my application, i get the below error ->

    > > bind error:
    > > [createIPv6Socket], bind() error.
    > > address = FEEE::219:d1ff:AAAA:705
    > > bind: Cannot assign requested address

    > It could mean that the address FEEE::219:d1ff:AAAA:705 is not assigned
    > to any local interface on the host.
    >
    > What application is this ?
    >
    > Note that FEEE::219:d1ff:AAAA:705 is in the FEC0::/10 range which was
    > once defined as the site-local prefix but has been deprecated and is now
    > reserved. Therefore you are not supposed to use it.

    I use fe80::219:d1ff:fea3:705. The bind error appears for that also.
    Does inet_pton(AF_INET6, s_ipv6addr, (void *)&local_addr) have any
    relation with Bind failure ?
    But, the strange thing is, if i hardcode the address in my code, it is
    working.
    Else, it is breaking with the bind error. Any ideas ?

    Thx in advans,
    Karthik Balaguru

  4. Re: Requested address

    karthikbalaguru a écrit :

    > I use fe80::219:d1ff:fea3:705. The bind error appears for that also.

    This is a link-local address, which scope is valid only on a given link.
    You may need to specify the interface in the form address%interface.

    > Does inet_pton(AF_INET6, s_ipv6addr, (void *)&local_addr) have any
    > relation with Bind failure ?

    Sorry, I am not a networking programmer and cannot help you on this.

    > But, the strange thing is, if i hardcode the address in my code, it is
    > working.

    What do you mean by "hardcode" ?

+ Reply to Thread